Another Thread Asking If TB Is Worth Getting

want a droid

Reaction score
I know you've all seen a bunch of threads like this, but I want you all to get my background information and then tell me what you think about getting the ThunderBolt.

• Current Phone: DROID2
  • Eligible for Upgrade: April 2012
  • Available Upgrade from Family Member to Use: Yes
I really want to grab a 4G phone, and I figure if I grab one sooner then I would be better off. I know no one won't really know anything until the phone has been out for a bit, but do you think the TB could hold me over to April of 2012.

To be honest I don't think the DROID2 can hold me over til April 2012. I figure the sooner I jump on a newer phone the better, am I right (or wrong)?

Just let me know what you guys think.

JFMFT

Reaction score
I think that Multi-core processors won't be as useful as they claim until the end of this year. There's a rumor that 2.4 (Gingerbread, not Ice Cream Sandwich) will come out around April or May and bring some features from Honeycomb to smartphones, including support for multi-core apps, but even if that rings true, we won't see most handsets upgraded until 3-4 months after. Look at the Nexus S... came out a few months ago and it's still the only official phone with 2.3. Even the Nexus One hasn't received 2.3 upgrades yet... 2.2 was slow (except for the Nexus One) as well.

Be patient, but don't worry. I'd say the Thunderbolt will last you at least a year - it has plenty of RAM and a good processor that overclocks very well. Assuming it's hacked easily enough (it should be if it's anything like the G2), overclocking can allow your phone to extend far beyond a year without being too slow.

That's my take on it. It sounds like the right phone for you based on what you said you want...

Also, HTC Sense is highly polished and the Thunderbolt should receive 2.3/2.4 before next April for sure, if not the next iteration after that (2.5? 3.1? who knows, lol). You're good for at least two upgrades on the Thunderbolt I'd say... two major ones, that is.

OP
want a droid

want a droid

Reaction score
I just don't think I can go the whole year and into April without 4G. I just want it too bad. I figure if I get a 4G phone now (early) then it will hold me over until April 2012 or later (if someone else in my family uses my current upgrade).

Like I said I just can't see myself lasting until April 2012 with the DROID2. It's an awesome phone, but there will just be too many coming out and I think I'd be better off upgrading earlier. Am I making sense? Haha

shaddix

Reaction score
I got rid of my droid 2 as well man, nice phone but moto sucks and the screen seemed small after using galaxy s. Swapped it for a dinc and gave it to the girlfriend. I am gonna suffer with my AT&T phone for a little while longer while I wait on the TB.