Another rooting question...

Chawpz

Reaction score
I have been reading up on rooting my X. I have yet to find a solid answer on losing root with an OTA update. I want to root 2.1 and explore, but I want to go back to stock when 2.2 comes out to learn it. I'm new to the whole android thing and most of the posts i have read seem like opinions that it will go back to stock when 2.2 is pushed out. Opinions are cool and all, but just want to know for sure before i try rooting. Sorry if this has been answered before, but i haven't found an answer as of yet. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
There's a signed SBF out for the DroidX, right? So why wouldn't we believe that would work? Pretty sure folks are using it - they just aren't talking about it a lot because Momma Moto got her panties in a wad about people having the file and started passing out pink slips to the principal's office.

dangerous

Reaction score
I have been reading up on rooting my X. I have yet to find a solid answer on losing root with an OTA update. I want to root 2.1 and explore, but I want to go back to stock when 2.2 comes out to learn it. I'm new to the whole android thing and most of the posts i have read seem like opinions that it will go back to stock when 2.2 is pushed out. Opinions are cool and all, but just want to know for sure before i try rooting. Sorry if this has been answered before, but i haven't found an answer as of yet. Thanks in advance!

Just unroot when the 2.2 comes out. there is a program that makes it real easy to un root.

(i think it was called "root me" or something like that.)
GUI DroidX Root Program - Windows Only - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - GUI DroidX Root Program - Windows Only - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score

Just unroot when the 2.2 comes out. there is a program that makes it real easy to un root.

(i think it was called "root me" or something like that.)
GUI DroidX Root Program - Windows Only - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - GUI DroidX Root Program - Windows Only - Droid X Rooting - AllDroid Public Board - AllDroid.org > Home
"Unrooting" has nothing to do with the issue. The issue is that if your phone isn't at the right build number and if the SHA1 signatures of various files and partitions don't match what the official update is looking for, it won't install. Depending on what else gets changed while you are "rooting around" the easiest way to make your phone look right again may be an SBF flash back to stock (depending on what all the official package is checking for).

dangerous

Reaction score
maybe not your issue. but i think he was asking if it will go back to stock, probably not. so then PUT it back to stock then UPG

By un rooting that is.. (Un root is easier than SBF'ing)

OP
C

Chawpz

Reaction score
So by unrooting, it removes everything you have done so my X would look like it does right now for the OTA 2.2? Sounds like i might just wait the couple weeks for Froyo (yeah, crossing my fingers, lol) then root after i get that down. I just don't want to do something and have Motorola pull something and not get the update, haha.

dangerous

Reaction score
So by unrooting, it removes everything you have done so my X would look like it does right now for the OTA 2.2? Sounds like i might just wait the couple weeks for Froyo (yeah, crossing my fingers, lol) then root after i get that down. I just don't want to do something and have Motorola pull something and not get the update, haha.

If you root your phone then make a bunch of changes to protected stuff, then you would have to SBF as suggested above.

I would imagine if you root to use apps that tether etc, then un rooting would be just fine. I guess i will just wait for the OTA update to be released as a hacked version