Another new guy with a question (and just saying hi)

sarroj

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just ordered a Motorola Droid A855 (Verizon) from eBay. This is my first smartphone so I'm really looking forward to using it. I do have what may be a an important question though: I bought from eBay because to upgrade my existing phone from Verizon, I had to upgrade my plan and commit for another 2 years, neither of which I want to do. So, I thought getting a wifi capable phone would give me the best of both worlds: I could use the web on my phone as long as I could find a hotspot (McDonald's, Dairy Queen, etc.), but not have to pay data costs (much the way I use my tablet). Was this a correct assumption, or did I just get a phone I can't use until I upgrade to a data plan ?

Thanks !
Jim :hail:

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
I don't think it will work for calling and texting without a data plan. Maybe you should switch companies and get a data plan if you don't like Verizon?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using the Droid Forums App

OP
S

sarroj

Reaction score
I don't think it will work for calling and texting without a data plan. Maybe you should switch companies and get a data plan if you don't like Verizon?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using the Droid Forums App

Sorry, I should have explained myself better: I have a Palm Treo which I only use as a "phone" and for texting. I have internet access turned off to keep the bill down. Hopefully with a Droid I can take advantage of WiFi capability, I can use the internet and still keep my same (non internet) calling plan with Verizon.

snowman

Reaction score
Verizon won't let you turn it on without a data plan

iamjoe

Reaction score
I think you could make calls with google voice connected over wifi?

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome to the forum!

Are you planning on keeping the Treo for phone calls and just use the Droid for wifi use? Or were you hoping to put the Droid in use like you have your Treo - if this is the case, I agree with the above posts - they won't let you use it as a "feature" phone, it would require a data plan. However, you should be able to change plans without locking yourself into a 2 year commitment since you are not purchasing the phone thru them.

OP
S

sarroj

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Are you planning on keeping the Treo for phone calls and just use the Droid for wifi use? Or were you hoping to put the Droid in use like you have your Treo - if this is the case, I agree with the above posts - they won't let you use it as a "feature" phone, it would require a data plan. However, you should be able to change plans without locking yourself into a 2 year commitment since you are not purchasing the phone thru them.

No, the Treo is on the fritz so I'm going to use the Droid as a phone as well - I just didn't want to pay the extra data plan charges :) I did run across what seems to be an interesting app for people just like me. Has anyone here fooled around with this ?

FoxFi - Download.com

Reaction score
sarroj said:
No, the Treo is on the fritz so I'm going to use the Droid as a phone as well - I just didn't want to pay the extra data plan charges :) I did run across what seems to be an interesting app for people just like me. Has anyone here fooled around with this ?

FoxFi - Download.com

Foxfi turns your device into a mobile hot spot. Will definitely need data for that to work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You won't be able to activate the phone to use as a phone unless you add a data package to it as well. All phones now classified as "smart phones" require a data package to be activated.

FoxFi works using the phones data package.....allowing you to use other WiFi devices (laptops, tablets) to connect to your phones data service for internet access (tethering)/

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just ordered a Motorola Droid A855 (Verizon) from eBay. This is my first smartphone so I'm really looking forward to using it. I do have what may be a an important question though: I bought from eBay because to upgrade my existing phone from Verizon, I had to upgrade my plan and commit for another 2 years, neither of which I want to do. So, I thought getting a wifi capable phone would give me the best of both worlds: I could use the web on my phone as long as I could find a hotspot (McDonald's, Dairy Queen, etc.), but not have to pay data costs (much the way I use my tablet). Was this a correct assumption, or did I just get a phone I can't use until I upgrade to a data plan ?

You can make Wifi Calls on a Droid without any Cell plan at all. You just need a Google Voice number (free) and an app called GrooveIP ($5). I use this as my backup if my cell service goes out.

I have this installed on my Droid 1 with NO cell service and I can make and receive calls using my google voice . It does work as advertised. The quality is not as good as real cell service but it fairly decent. Better than I expected.

I will warn you that this will involve occasionally jumping through hoops. It is not as seamless as real cell service although it does work fairly well. GrooveIP will work in place of your dialer and will call and ID numbers from your GMail contact list.

View attachment 49850

That being said, I think you should reconsider upgrading. The Droid was a great phone, but there is a night and day difference between it and the new phones. The response times are immediate...I do not ever wait for apps to load anymore. You can get a Galaxy Nexus for $400 RETAIL (no contract) and use Groove IP with it to make and receive cell calls.