Using another line's upgrade to get the Galaxy SIII

urklegrue

Reaction score
My husband is giving me his upgrade so I can get the GSIII. My own upgrade isn't due until November. The question is, if I use his upgrade to pre-order the phone, when I get it I can just activate it on my line without ever activating it on his, correct? He has a dumb phone with no data plan.

Also will this still put me in danger of the losing-grandfathered-unlimited-to-tiered-data-plan should that come to pass in the meantime?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My husband is giving me his upgrade so I can get the GSIII. My own upgrade isn't due until November. The question is, if I use his upgrade to pre-order the phone, when I get it I can just activate it on my line without ever activating it on his, correct? He has a dumb phone with no data plan.

Also will this still put me in danger of the losing-grandfathered-unlimited-to-tiered-data-plan should that come to pass in the meantime?

If he is the account owner or you are the account owner then you can use the upgrade at anytime, but since the phone you are upgrading from is one without data and is a smart phone, Verizon is going to charge you for an additional phone data. Because technically speaking you are upgrading that phone, not the one you currently have.

Nice try though. :)

OP
U

urklegrue

Reaction score
So do they charge you the data plan forever, or just for the month? I thought the data plan was not tied to the contract, like you could drop it if you needed to without a penalty. I might have imagined that though because I've never had to deal with it.

There is also an option to transfer the upgrade from one phone to the other. Is that what I should do?

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you can upgrade with his line and just take the sim card out of tbolt and put it in the SGIII.( if it diffrent size you will have to call vzw.. you will not have to pay data on his line. i do this frequently i know this.. also if you get a smart person on the phone tell them you want to roll that upgrade onto your line . and they will do it .

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
OP
U

urklegrue

Reaction score
See, this is where I am confused. Say I move his upgrade to my line. I get that that would be the same as me pre-ordering it for my line, and I lose the unlimited.

But say I order the phone under his number, and then activate it on mine. How would that be different than, say, he gets the phone and sells it to someone right away, and they activate it and keep their unlimited? Or if I bought it for full price and activated it? It would still not be a subsidized upgrade associated with my phone number. Right?

It makes sense in my head but looks confusing written out. :blink:

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes you can buy at full retail and keep unlimited. If you buy through his line it requires a data plan to get the subsidized price. Hencw no unlimited. If you buy from your line, theres no more granfathering in for unlimited.

You want to keep unlimted then you will need to buy at retail.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2