Android's Law Plagues Us All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Froyo was a big deal with the bluetooth and flash, I'm unsure what real advantage Gingerbread is going to offer. But a phone is not obsolete until apps are no longer made and/or supported. And, truth be told, there are plenty of people who don't use bluetooth or flash. So obsolete is relative, but then obsolete really can't be relative. Just like my dual-core PC is not obsolete because quad-cores come out, it only becomes obsolete when something I need requires quad core.

The car example provided is a good one as well. A 10-yr old Toyota is not obsolete. While there are better, more advanced models out it still serves it's original function, as well as the current needs, just fine. Obsolete means little to no practical use, not just that something a little better is out there.

As far as old phones go, yes, they are and will be obsolete as far as the OS is concerned. The manufacturers wont support the phone at its EOL. Which by looking at the trend above proves, you buy a new phone in 6 months, 2-4 weeks after that it will be at its EOL. Limited production means limited support = more money for them later when you want something better and up to date.

There are many computers that are obsolete, look at tandy for example. It may still do what its supposed to do but no one supports it.

Same goes with cars, after your warranty is up its no longer supported and you have to pay more $$$ to either extend the warranty or pay more $$$ for things to be fixed.

So what good is that?

Useless knowledge really because this will never change. As long as there is new hardware/software people will pay $$$ to have the best or at least up-to-date products. I think this is the point trying to be proved here.

ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY!

Cdjones187

Reaction score
–adjective
no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression.
of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.
(of a linguistic form) no longer in use, esp., out of use for at least the past century. Compare archaic.
effaced by wearing down or away.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
–adjective
no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression.
of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.
(of a linguistic form) no longer in use, esp., out of use for at least the past century. Compare archaic.
effaced by wearing down or away.

thank you, that's exactly what i was saying, just because it still works doesn't magically make it not obsolete...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Cdjones187

Reaction score
maybe those who've never rooted and overclocked don't notice it because there's nothing to compare it to, but i know there's no way i could go back to 550 clock speed, and spend 9 seconds for my screen to wake up when i get a call :icon_eek:

Like i said previously, with GB or even the latest custom builds of froyo, I can run at 600 mhz (stock froyo) and it runs like froyo use to run at 1.25ghz. The difference between a minor overclock (100-200 mhz) and a %225 overclock isn't much. Just creates more heat and lessens the life of your cpu.

Its the coding of the OS and applications that matter the most, look at iphone for instance. They are able to optimize the OS and apps for the hardware because they only make a few models and they are all the same. Android on the other hand will never see this same type of optimization. So there will ALWAYS be updates to applications no matter what version of android. Thats one reason all these new phones will be coming with froyo, and not GB (at first)

So I'm saying, specs really only matter a little. You could have a 1ghz tegra 2 dual core phone with 1gb of ram but if they OS code is crap than a 550mhz phone with 256mb ram on a optimized system will still run better.

software interacts with hardware, and they have to be optimized to work correctly together yes. but if i have an optimized system with 1GHz of RAM, and an optimized system with 256MB of ram, the 1GHz is going to be faster, more efficient and more responsive. That's not even an argument. Clock speeds are not placebo. There is a clear, and calculable difference between 256MB of RAM and 1GHz...

If a DX runs Froyo, it's going to be more responsive than a stock D1 running froyo. You can prove that at any Verizon store...

My comparison was to a 1ghz cpu 1gb ram phone UNOPTIMIZED to a 550mhz cpu 256mb ram phone OPTIMIZED. The 550mhz would win.

I wasn't comparing clock speeds, I was stating optimization has a lot more to do with speed than the actually frequency, ram also plays a bigger part than frequency. Theres no doubt that comparing a DX on froyo is faster than a D1 on froyo, d1 is half the speed and half the ram. But neither are fully optimized.

^^

I pretty much just said the same thing as my first post. I dunno why you thought I was arguing or wrong about what I said because I wasn't. If your one of those people that compare benchmark scores I feel sorry for you. If it was me stating that my rooted D1 at almost stock speed can still compete with the new phones, that statement still stands true.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
That being said, being rooted compared to stock it is a WORLD of difference, because roms are optimized while stock is for the masses.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like i said previously, with GB or even the latest custom builds of froyo, I can run at 600 mhz (stock froyo) and it runs like froyo use to run at 1.25ghz. The difference between a minor overclock (100-200 mhz) and a %225 overclock isn't much. Just creates more heat and lessens the life of your cpu.

Its the coding of the OS and applications that matter the most, look at iphone for instance. They are able to optimize the OS and apps for the hardware because they only make a few models and they are all the same. Android on the other hand will never see this same type of optimization. So there will ALWAYS be updates to applications no matter what version of android. Thats one reason all these new phones will be coming with froyo, and not GB (at first)

So I'm saying, specs really only matter a little. You could have a 1ghz tegra 2 dual core phone with 1gb of ram but if they OS code is crap than a 550mhz phone with 256mb ram on a optimized system will still run better.

software interacts with hardware, and they have to be optimized to work correctly together yes. but if i have an optimized system with 1GHz of RAM, and an optimized system with 256MB of ram, the 1GHz is going to be faster, more efficient and more responsive. That's not even an argument. Clock speeds are not placebo. There is a clear, and calculable difference between 256MB of RAM and 1GHz...

If a DX runs Froyo, it's going to be more responsive than a stock D1 running froyo. You can prove that at any Verizon store...

My comparison was to a 1ghz cpu 1gb ram phone UNOPTIMIZED to a 550mhz cpu 256mb ram phone OPTIMIZED. The 550mhz would win.

I wasn't comparing clock speeds, I was stating optimization has a lot more to do with speed than the actually frequency, ram also plays a bigger part than frequency. Theres no doubt that comparing a DX on froyo is faster than a D1 on froyo, d1 is half the speed and half the ram. But neither are fully optimized.

^^

I pretty much just said the same thing as my first post. I dunno why you thought I was arguing or wrong about what I said because I wasn't. If your one of those people that compare benchmark scores I feel sorry for you. If it was me stating that my rooted D1 at almost stock speed can still compete with the new phones, that statement still stands true.

if i misinterpreted your post i apologize. however, i guess "can still compete" is a relative statement. no i don't look at quadrant benchmarks and i'd feel sorry for myself if i did that too haha. sure a dx is not going to blow the d1 out of the water, but clearly the d1 will have much more lag, be much less responsive, and perform memory management much less efficiently. again, it's not an argument. a quadrant benchmark means nothing, but clock speeds are a real thing...it's not just a "this is bigger so its better" thing. and it's not a placebo. a dx is going to be faster then a d1, and yes the d1 can "still compete".

saying the d1 can "still compete" is the same as saying it's not obsolete because it still works....

Cdjones187

Reaction score
saying the d1 can "still compete" is the same as saying it's not obsolete because it still works....

But I would say that a stock D1 (unrooted stock froyo) is obsolete, and really isn't competition for the current phones in any aspect besides the sexy keyboard/d-pad combo.

I remember when froyo hit ota and I had already been running it for a few months I just HAD to .sbf back to stock and download the OTA to see what froyo was really supposed to look and feel like. I was dissapointed to say the least. Its slow, and very laggy. If I couldnt flash custom roms to my D1 it would be junk IMO.

Ive let friends with incredibles, DXs, fasinates, evos, and nexus phones (all stock) play with my D1 and after 30 minutes of them playing with my phone start to complain about their own phones. Asking me how to do the same thing to their phone to make them faster with less lag. And I've played with their phones and many others, wouldnt trade mine for any of them. Bigger screen is a plus but I like my keyboard (though I use swype now).

And a lot of those phones feel "cheap", the DROID(2, and global) form factor is built tough. I've dropped it many times, and about had a heart attack every time. But no scratches to the screen, just some battle wounds on the bezel.

I just cant wait for the D3, even if the bootloader is locked. It will be a flagship phone to compete with the iphone 5g most likely. So the specs will be off the wall, all while keeping the original form factor (i hope). Definately straying away from the D2 and global. So I gotta make my D1 last atleast till the newest DROID comes out.

Some times people do forget though, we're talking about PHONES, made for CALLING. lol dancedroid

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

But I would say that a stock D1 (unrooted stock froyo) is obsolete, and really isn't competition for the current phones in any aspect besides the sexy keyboard/d-pad combo.

I remember when froyo hit ota and I had already been running it for a few months I just HAD to .sbf back to stock and download the OTA to see what froyo was really supposed to look and feel like. I was dissapointed to say the least. Its slow, and very laggy. If I couldnt flash custom roms to my D1 it would be junk IMO.

Ive let friends with incredibles, DXs, fasinates, evos, and nexus phones (all stock) play with my D1 and after 30 minutes of them playing with my phone start to complain about their own phones. Asking me how to do the same thing to their phone to make them faster with less lag. And I've played with their phones and many others, wouldnt trade mine for any of them. Bigger screen is a plus but I like my keyboard (though I use swype now).

And a lot of those phones feel "cheap", the DROID(2, and global) form factor is built tough. I've dropped it many times, and about had a heart attack every time. But no scratches to the screen, just some battle wounds on the bezel.

I just cant wait for the D3, even if the bootloader is locked. It will be a flagship phone to compete with the iphone 5g most likely. So the specs will be off the wall, all while keeping the original form factor (i hope). Definately straying away from the D2 and global. So I gotta make my D1 last atleast till the newest DROID comes out.

Some times people do forget though, we're talking about PHONES, made for CALLING. lol dancedroid

ok now it's evident that i did indeed misinterpret your post so i do apologize haha. i agree with you. if i had to go to stock i would throw my d1 at the wall. there's no chance i could manage a stock d1 for any length of time. and that being said, i dont want to trade my d1 in for anything, at least not yet, and that's only because you can flash custom roms on it. i think it's obsolete too, and i think the only reason its still viable is because of how much you can do with it. for the 99+% who dont root their d1s, it's been obsolete since august. if we didn't have an unlocked bootloader, this phone would have been obsolete for everyone in august.

that's why i said the d1 is an anomaly in the smartphone world. as crappy its stock specs are, tons of improvements can be made simply because of the ability to overclock and flash custom roms. however, at the end of the day the tech is obsolete and its been that way for several months now

edbdroid

Reaction score
LTE, dual-core, lots of memory, and a QWERTY keyboard are required. Anything above that is gravy.

ditto.. i've had my droid1 since nov 09 and sticking with it (thanks overclocking!) until what you mention comes out... hopefully Droid3 will be what we're looking for...

From what I hear, Droid3 will be just that. 3G. Not the droid I'm looking for. :(

edbdroid

Reaction score
I don't see it as a really big deal, either. The D1 in reality is not obsolete - it still runs just fine (even without root, unless you've dumped a bunch of apps and widgets on it).

Oh, I still carry my Droid, and have no intention of changing it out until something I feel will serve me better comes along. Sure, there are lots of phones out now with more memory, faster processors, and what-have-you. But again, my criteria are as simple as they are specific. LTE. Dual-Core. More RAM. And a QWERTY keyboard. Nothing's come out that satisfies these requirements yet, so the argument can certainly be made that my Droid is not yet obsolete.

If I wanted to go to the store and buy one, however, I would have difficulty. The A855 isn't out of stock, it's discontinued. They don't make it any longer, and haven't for over half a year. By industry standards, I'm pretty sure that means it's obsolete.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
LTE, dual-core, lots of memory, and a QWERTY keyboard are required. Anything above that is gravy.

ditto.. i've had my droid1 since nov 09 and sticking with it (thanks overclocking!) until what you mention comes out... hopefully Droid3 will be what we're looking for...

From what I hear, Droid3 will be just that. 3G. Not the droid I'm looking for. :(

Could really care less about lte personally. It will be another 10 bucks a month and most likely wont be in my area until 2013 (when its fully launched) and by then my contract will have been up for a year.

Just like 3g was when it launched, 4g will be very spotty for the first few years even after its fully launched. I JUST got 3g in my area about 3 months ago, and I live between a few bigger citys. Pretty sad.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Oh, and I heard from someone on the inside, even if you have NO 4g coverage but own a 4g phone, you will still have to pay the extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.