Android updates and memory leaks, battery drain, etc.

Natey2

Reaction score
"Updating your version of the Android operating system can cause more problems than it solves."
"Several of these developers say that when phone makers and wireless carriers meddle with Android, they risk wreaking havoc on users’ phones, even if those phones haven’t been rooted or modified in any way.“

- http://www.pcworld.com/article/254304/the_android_update_trap.html

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

77Pat

Reaction score
Yea, I have had some issues with my Droid X which is stock. If it weren't for these problems (and a dead spot on my screen), I would not see any reason to upgrade (In my use I have found I do not really need that much more of a powerful phone).

I am using Go Launcher and frequently have low memory warnings. When I go into Go Task Manager (I use it to view usage, not kill apps) it is consistenlty around 450/500.

When using Google Music it regularly says "Couldn't play the track you requested"

Pandora and Slacker skip songs without playing until I power cycle the phone.

Pictures will not save to SD Card (I have tried two cards and formateed both, I do not get any corrupt error messages.)

Right now I feel like the Droid X is mostly limited by memory. Sort of like the change of memory recommendations when going from Windows XP to Windows 7. Or how Apple recommended memory upgrades between OS X 10.4 (Tiger) to OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and from IPhone 3 to Iphone 4.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
I was a lot happier under .605 compared to my current .621
Wish I could revert :(

And my phone would go on much longer before encountering the dreaded Low Memory errors under Android 2.1, compared to my current Android 2.3.4

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
Is it possible to ROM a device with a locked bootloader? Or do those devices just use themes?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this from my Rommed Droid 2. Locked bootloaders that don't have factory unlock tools just take more work from the developers. That said, don't think I'll be buying another motorola device.

MIUI tested, mother approved.

OP
Natey2

Natey2

Reaction score
I am inclined to believe that the device manufacturer and/or Carrier's modifications to Google's Android is causing many problems.
Sometimes, it's the apps we install that cause problems.

I recently got myself a $99 Tablet ( 7" ) that runs Android 4.0.3. (Ref: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=207833)
Notable differences:
No 3G/4G radio, just WiFi.
Much less memory than my DroidX, and slower processor.
Newer version of Android.
No fancy code modifications from Motorola or Carrier (Verizon).

I have been trying to do all kinds of things to get it to report the dreaded "Low Memory" errors caused by resource leaks (that plagues my DroidX) in its logs, but have not noticed one so far.
I am very impressed with the improvement over the Android 2.3.4 running on my DroidX.

Last edited: