Android Streaming Netflix Closer to Reality - Shown on Custom LG Revolution at MWC

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
netflix-lg-revolution.jpg

Streaming Netflix on our Androids just got a step closer to becoming a reality. LG was showing it off in a working form on a modified LG Revolution. This modified phone was using a custom Snapdragon processor that utilizes advanced DRM libraries at the hardware level to keep the movies from being easily pirated. That Qualcomm was able to come up with this solution is the good news. The bad news is that it simply won't work with any existing smartphone chip, including unmodified Snapdragon processors.

It's great that we are a step closer to Watch Instantly Netflix Movies on Android, but it's a shame that the paranoid movie execs are slowing the development to a snail's pace. I can understand their desire to protect their IP, but it just seems that the potential for them to make even more money in the long run would spur them to speed the development process along. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Source: Android.net via Engadget

Last edited:

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
I was actually surprised to find out that Netflix hasn't been able to be streamed yet.

I think it's absurd. The demand is there (much more than 3D phones) and the profit that could be made should want them to get it up right away. I would actually buy Netflix (even a higher priced "plan" for mobile) if I could steam it on my Thunderbolt (When I get it... Sorry Bionic, you're too Blury)

cpjr

Reaction score
That would be cool if the instant (steaming) movie choices didnt suck.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
It would be nice to have netflix but they need to negotiate for more content availability first, the streaming choices are lame at best.

piquat

Reaction score
I love Netflix, I have an account.

That said, I'd get what 2... 3 movies before I were throttled? LOL

I'm coming to the conclusion that this isn't on the network because they just don't want tons of people streaming video over it.

Reaction score
Regardless of how well the app will perform and its movie selection...

Pirates are gonna pirates. They are already able to get the movies and I figure its probably a lot easier on a computer anyways. Besides theres torrent programs for phones anyways. In my opinion there is no real benefit to them holding off on releasing this. I am a Netflix subscriber and I almost feel like canceling because Im feeling pretty jipped as I was looking forward to using it on my Droid and now thats never going to happen. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO netflix.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I cannot imagine that Verizon is happy about this. A lot of people have Netflix accounts, and if a couple million people started streaming movies and TV shows over Netflix to their phones, Verizon will feel the strain.

I expect more throttling, bandwidth caps, and everyone on the network slowing down as the extra traffic congests their pipelines.

piquat

Reaction score
Regardless of how well the app will perform and its movie selection...

Pirates are gonna pirates. They are already able to get the movies and I figure its probably a lot easier on a computer anyways. Besides theres torrent programs for phones anyways. In my opinion there is no real benefit to them holding off on releasing this. I am a Netflix subscriber and I almost feel like canceling because Im feeling pretty jipped as I was looking forward to using it on my Droid and now thats never going to happen. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO netflix.

My thinking isn't that they're "holding off", it's that you're never going to see it. Or, if you do, they'll compress it so much it won't look good on any screen larger than your phone.

As far as the torrent programs go, ya, that's part of why they're implementing this. Torrents, Hulu, Netflix, doesn't matter WHAT it is, it's too much for the network, as it sits now. Is the technology out there? Of course. Speeds and prices in the US are a joke. But that costs money and short sighted American business sees that as an immediate threat to the bottom line.

Total guess here but I give it to about June or July and you'll start to hear the crying and gnashing of teeth....

kptphalkon

Reaction score
If drm is being implemented at the hardware level i am never buying a smart phone that is netflix capable. Whos to say that it wont be implemented to stop you from watching live streams or d/ling or playing non bought music? I am an internet pirate at heart and believe in freedom out there on the sea of information.

Just leave me alone and let me cruise those golden waters to infinity....

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Damn not being able to edit!

I'd like to apologize for double posting and add that i would pay for netflix mobile (been waiting what seems like forever) and would not redistribute a pirated copy from them. But with the forced inclusion of hard coded management, i am very very turned off.

I hate ipods for that same basic reason. Theyre great dnt get me wrong, but being unable to share with other computers really ticked me off.

motty69

Reaction score
Damn not being able to edit!

I'd like to apologize for double posting and add that i would pay for netflix mobile (been waiting what seems like forever) and would not redistribute a pirated copy from them. But with the forced inclusion of hard coded management, i am very very turned off.

I hate ipods for that same basic reason. Theyre great dnt get me wrong, but being unable to share with other computers really ticked me off.

Were only getting hardware DRM because Google has not seen fit to implement a software solution (which in all honesty they should have known it would be needed). Content providers are paranoid little babies trapped in the past when they could control distribution much easier. Just because the hardware supports it doesn't mean everything will all the sudden be locked down. This is a compromise I welcome if it gets Hulu, Netflix, etc on my phone.

My question is, does the 2nd gen Snapdragon in the TBolt already support this or will this only show up in processors that are not yet availale to smartphone manufacturers.

Jack Faire

Reaction score
My thoughts are that the studios are actually potentially going to lose money with streaming technology.

For example if you can pay a small subscription fee to stream via Netflix, currently 4.99 for a streaming only account per month, and then stream every movie and TV show in existence with no limit on how many times you stream it and the movie and TV show never being unavailable then the studios will lose a lot of money due to lack of DVD/Blu Ray sales.

There are more and better streaming variety through other venues such as Amazon most likely due to their willingness to charge rental fees per video streamed. Netflix will either have to change it's paradigm, continue offering unlimited disc rentals, not counting the amount of discs you can have per time but how many times you can have discs sent to you in a month, in order to stay in business.

I don't fault anyone for attempting to make sure that new and changing technologies won't put them out of business. If the studios were mom and pop stores we would all be screaming at Netflix for trying to put them out of business but because they are large companies we tend to forget people just like us work there like we work at our companies and they need to protect their own livelihood just like we do ours.

dafischman

Reaction score
My thoughts are that the studios are actually potentially going to lose money with streaming technology.

For example if you can pay a small subscription fee to stream via Netflix, currently 4.99 for a streaming only account per month, and then stream every movie and TV show in existence with no limit on how many times you stream it and the movie and TV show never being unavailable then the studios will lose a lot of money due to lack of DVD/Blu Ray sales.

There are more and better streaming variety through other venues such as Amazon most likely due to their willingness to charge rental fees per video streamed. Netflix will either have to change it's paradigm, continue offering unlimited disc rentals, not counting the amount of discs you can have per time but how many times you can have discs sent to you in a month, in order to stay in business.

I don't fault anyone for attempting to make sure that new and changing technologies won't put them out of business. If the studios were mom and pop stores we would all be screaming at Netflix for trying to put them out of business but because they are large companies we tend to forget people just like us work there like we work at our companies and they need to protect their own livelihood just like we do ours.

There is far more profit in streaming for studios than in discs for the rental community. Costs are essentially nil for the studios, they provide the company such as Netflix a file for a fee. They get to choose what that fee is. It has nothing to do with what Netflix is charging monthly/per viewing/etc. The companies taking the risk are Netflix and others like them. They have large costs involved in setting up and maintaining servers that can stream the media and paying the studios for the rights to the media.

The studio's loss on sales of DVD/BluRay has little to do with the rental community. People who want to own will still purchase it, but many people don't like to own a movie that they watch once or twice. That is why my family mainly owns childrens/disney films, since my daughter will watch them millions(literally) of times. We buy some block buster films that we want to own but the rest are rented either via netflix or locally.

As for DRM, I understand it to a certain extent for streaming, because both studios and rental companies have an interest in mitigating piracy. Piracy is the one thing that can hurt both of these businesses. Sorry this was alot longer than I meant for it to be, just wanted to point out that studios have more to gain than to lose by allowing streaming.

Josh

matt2783

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]since my daughter will watch them millions(literally) of times. [/QUOTE]

I doubt that.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They just need to understand the pricing model. The studios also stand to lose substantial amount of money from networks for the rights to air movies on cable.

Also agree they should limit how many times you can watch, although for me the nice thing about streaming is when nothing new interests me, I might watch a "classic" I haven't seen in several years (and there's my issue with netflix - hardly any such "blockbuster" titles are available to stream).