Android Security

FernBch

Reaction score
How secure is an android device? I am finding out that many companies are not allowing Android powered devices to be connected or even synced to their corporate networks. My employer has said that they will not allow it because of them not being secure enough. I was also told that they are especially prone to malware. Is there any truth to this, is the Android community aware of this, and is there anything in the works to improve this? I do not care for the Blackberry devices and had a Windows phone and didn't really like it either. It would be real nice to see this anti-android thinking at the corporate level change.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Droid Firefighter

Reaction score
Indiana (and that is close enough for the internet
Current Phone Model
S8
Malware is available across all platforms so its not a viable argument. The market is constantly under review for such issues. Any phone is only as secure as the user. With the open nature of programming for android forward thinking companies can create apps or have them done for them that could very easily streamline operations. Such as a salesman placing orders via an app. No computer needed in the field. My two cents worth.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
How secure is an android device? I am finding out that many companies are not allowing Android powered devices to be connected or even synced to their corporate networks. My employer has said that they will not allow it because of them not being secure enough.
A lot of companies with Exchange and ActiveSync aren't allowing devices because some don't support the ActiveSync security policies that they enforce. The specific device in question can matter. Your question is extremely broad. Are you asking about actually connecting an Android device via WiFi or just syncing with an Exchange server? The relevant discussion around security depends on the focus of your discussion topic.

OP
FernBch

FernBch

Reaction score
How secure is an android device? I am finding out that many companies are not allowing Android powered devices to be connected or even synced to their corporate networks. My employer has said that they will not allow it because of them not being secure enough.
A lot of companies with Exchange and ActiveSync aren't allowing devices because some don't support the ActiveSync security policies that they enforce. The specific device in question can matter. Your question is extremely broad. Are you asking about actually connecting an Android device via WiFi or just syncing with an Exchange server? The relevant discussion around security depends on the focus of your discussion topic.

I guess it would be to sync to an exhange server for email and such. For me there would be no other reason to connect to their network.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
How secure is an android device? I am finding out that many companies are not allowing Android powered devices to be connected or even synced to their corporate networks. My employer has said that they will not allow it because of them not being secure enough. I was also told that they are especially prone to malware. Is there any truth to this, is the Android community aware of this, and is there anything in the works to improve this? I do not care for the Blackberry devices and had a Windows phone and didn't really like it either. It would be real nice to see this anti-android thinking at the corporate level change.

It's not the malware employers are concerned about; they stop that at the firewall.
What they fear is you losing your phone and all the corporate data with it.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
As mentioned they can't push policies, and there's no built in remote wipe, all things a corporate phone would require...i doubt a major corporation wants to use a third party remote wipe app

vatothe0

Reaction score
As mentioned they can't push policies, and there's no built in remote wipe, all things a corporate phone would require...i doubt a major corporation wants to use a third party remote wipe app

You can push policies and remote wipe. You just need a device that supports it.

Look at the DROID Pro.

Sent from my DROIDX

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

You can push policies and remote wipe. You just need a device that supports it.

Look at the DROID Pro.

Sent from my DROIDX

Completely forgot about the PRO, you're right.

OP
FernBch

FernBch

Reaction score

That may be the case, but I do know the ability to remote wipe exists. Our work network uses Norton products and their android app has remote wipe ability.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

That may be the case, but I do know the ability to remote wipe exists. Our work network uses Norton products and their android app has remote wipe ability.

As mentioned, they would probably want a built in protocol for remote wiping and not want to have to depend on a third party app.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
FernBch

FernBch

Reaction score
That I could understand, it would be nice if they would have just said that.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Sounds like your company is uneducated....

OP
FernBch

FernBch

Reaction score

Sounds like your company is uneducated....

Either that or they just really like Bill Gates.....Lol