Android Portal Clone Gets Canned

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;6e9JhE9miOg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6e9JhE9miOg[/video]​

Last month, videos surfaced of a Portal clone for Android being developed by a group of Russian programmers. The developers had hoped to completely re-create the popular first person puzzle game using the Unity graphics engine. Unfortunately the project has been abandoned after Valve's legal department voiced their disapproval. One of the developers, tibers28, had attempted to contact Valve and get there approval but received the below email in response:

valve-response-to-portal-port.PNG

Since receiving Valve's response the developers stated that "the project is decisively closed". It was a neat project while it lasted, but Valves disapproval is not surprising. It seems our only hope now is if Valve decides to port it over themselves. What do you think about Valves decision?

By eDogNights

Source: AndroidPolice

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Somebody should email them and ask about half-life 2: episode 3 :biggrin:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I can't believe that I might be becoming the FAKE!!! guy, but does anyone else find this "response" a bit fishy? "Yes, we do mind..."??? Lisa from Legal??? This is not how Cease and Desist letters are normally written.

-Matt

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why don't they enter into a teaming agreement with the developer. He sends them his trademarked product. They look at it and if they like it, they buy the rights then sell it for a few bucks on Google Play (OBTW, HATE the new name).

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
"Yes we do mind" LOL

Wow. Maybe offer the guy a job so that everyone could make some money? Too easy I guess.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also,

I just went Valve's website and there is no Lisa Werner listed in their "people" section. You might be on to something Gadget...

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
maybe the russian guys realized this would be a LOT more work than they thought and decided to make this story up? the response is not at all professional.... more than likely it's a fake

DaWolf85

Reaction score
maybe the russian guys realized this would be a LOT more work than they thought and decided to make this story up? the response is not at all professional.... more than likely it's a fake
Probably they tried to get an actual response from Valve saying no but Valve didn't take them seriously (or worse, told them sure, go right ahead) :happy3:

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Imagine someone emailing you out the blue on some "hey, I just want to make your product that you have spent years and money on available on another venue...."

Do you think you're going to conjure up some long response???

Nah, you're going to go "No thank you"

There's WAY too many things that could go wrong. From perception (aka the builds he does publicly being horrible and folks being mad at Valve....because this happens A LOT w/mobile apps) to internal plan (aka they might already have something up their sleeves and not want to share it via email to some unknown Russian dev)

Seems very real to me.

The question for those who don't believe it's real....what did you expect her to type?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I can't believe that I might be becoming the FAKE!!! guy, but does anyone else find this "response" a bit fishy? "Yes, we do mind..."??? Lisa from Legal??? This is not how Cease and Desist letters are normally written.

-Matt

That is completely true. I have never seen such an unprofessional Cease and Desist letter.

Also,

I just went Valve's website and there is no Lisa Werner listed in their "people" section. You might be on to something Gadget...
Companies some times use third party companies to investigate copyright infringement who are not actual employees of the company they are writing you about.