1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Android Portal Clone Gets Canned

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 9, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Last month, videos surfaced of a Portal clone for Android being developed by a group of Russian programmers. The developers had hoped to completely re-create the popular first person puzzle game using the Unity graphics engine. Unfortunately the project has been abandoned after Valve's legal department voiced their disapproval. One of the developers, tibers28, had attempted to contact Valve and get there approval but received the below email in response:

[​IMG]

Since receiving Valve's response the developers stated that "the project is decisively closed". It was a neat project while it lasted, but Valves disapproval is not surprising. It seems our only hope now is if Valve decides to port it over themselves. What do you think about Valves decision?

By eDogNights

Source: AndroidPolice
  2. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

Somebody should email them and ask about half-life 2: episode 3 :biggrin:
  3. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

I can't believe that I might be becoming the FAKE!!! guy, but does anyone else find this "response" a bit fishy? "Yes, we do mind..."??? Lisa from Legal??? This is not how Cease and Desist letters are normally written.

-Matt
  4. Mike.757

Mike.757 Well-Known Member

Why don't they enter into a teaming agreement with the developer. He sends them his trademarked product. They look at it and if they like it, they buy the rights then sell it for a few bucks on Google Play (OBTW, HATE the new name).
  5. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

"Yes we do mind" LOL

Wow. Maybe offer the guy a job so that everyone could make some money? Too easy I guess.
  6. Mike.757

Mike.757 Well-Known Member

Also,

I just went Valve's website and there is no Lisa Werner listed in their "people" section. You might be on to something Gadget...
  7. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

Well, she does show up here:

https://fortress.wa.gov/esd/worksource/PrintJobDetail.aspx?JobID=2142172

But that just fuels my suspicion as it now looks like Lisa moonlights in human resources... Maybe we should drop her a line!

-Matt
  8. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

maybe the russian guys realized this would be a LOT more work than they thought and decided to make this story up? the response is not at all professional.... more than likely it's a fake
  9. DaWolf85

DaWolf85 New Member

Probably they tried to get an actual response from Valve saying no but Valve didn't take them seriously (or worse, told them sure, go right ahead) :happy3:
  10. blacksoxing

blacksoxing Member

Imagine someone emailing you out the blue on some "hey, I just want to make your product that you have spent years and money on available on another venue...."

Do you think you're going to conjure up some long response???

Nah, you're going to go "No thank you"

There's WAY too many things that could go wrong. From perception (aka the builds he does publicly being horrible and folks being mad at Valve....because this happens A LOT w/mobile apps) to internal plan (aka they might already have something up their sleeves and not want to share it via email to some unknown Russian dev)

Seems very real to me.

The question for those who don't believe it's real....what did you expect her to type?
  11. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

That is completely true. I have never seen such an unprofessional Cease and Desist letter.

Companies some times use third party companies to investigate copyright infringement who are not actual employees of the company they are writing you about.
Search tags for this page

bionic clone thread clone

cloning droid 2 global