Android on a PC

Yufice

Reaction score
how would I go about installing android or a rom onto a PC? Obviously not a desktop, I'm going to be installing a touchscreen nav device, and I'd like for it to be running android. how would I got about doing this?

edit: my OP wasn't very clear. I'm going to build a computer with basic hardware and put it in a special case the size of my jetta's in-dash radio. the input will be a touch screen, and thesoftware they make for these ssytems is lackluster at best. I want to install android on it since its my favorite touch screen experience.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
how would I go about installing android or a rom onto a PC? Obviously not a desktop, I'm going to be installing a touchscreen nav device, and I'd like for it to be running android. how would I got about doing this?

Android isn't made for a PC. Android runs on a linux based system.

You can't use a Chevy part on a Ford.;)

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You would need an ARM-based processor, and the time/commitment to rewrite 80+% of the code.

OP
Yufice

Yufice

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Gonna follow the links. Gonna start the project in a week or so, enough interest for me to post the happenings?

edit: my OP wasn't very clear. I'm going to build a computer with basic hardware and put it in a special case the size of my jetta's in-dash radio. the input will be a touch screen, and thesoftware they make for these ssytems is lackluster at best. I want to install android on it since its my favorite touch screen experience.

Last edited:

chisledice

Reaction score
I plan on doing this as well. I was just going to get a 7" tablet with Android on it and run with that.

It will be interesting to see how you take it.

Update:

I found this and loaded it up on a virtual machine. You should be able to use this for your project.

http://www.android-x86.org/download

Last edited: