Android Experienced 16% Growth In 2 Months

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

Remember 2 months ago when Eric Schmidt took the stage and said Android was activating 200K devices a day? Well that number is now 350K. According to Brian Pitz, an executive director and senior research analyst at UBS Investment Bank, our favorite smartphone OS experienced a 16 percent increase in just a few months. This same growth was also expressed by the recent report released by Gartner earlier this week that said at this rate, Android will overtake Symbian OS by the end of the year as the most popular OS. The same report says that the iPhone’s iOS will peak this year and will stay the number 2 OS for the time being, I think until Nokia and Microsoft start making babies.

This growth is most likely due to the push Android is experiencing with not only the manufacturers but the carriers and the consumers as well. Google has something great in their hands now, and hopefully the next version will make us love them even more.

Source: Google Activating 350K Android Devices Each Day, Analyst Says | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Last edited by a moderator:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing this 350k a day activation rate and I just don't see how it is even remotely possible. That means in the last 60 days a total of 21 million android phones were activated. There are only 70 million smartphones in America alone. Yes android owns 33% of those now but that's coming from over 2 years worth of people buying phones. Even if this was a worldwide number it seems really inflated, IMO. Not calling these reports lies or anything, I am just truly curious as to how this is possible.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

Big Ry

Reaction score
How is going from 200k to 350k 16% growth? Also, well over two months ago the figure was 300k, so where are these numbers coming from?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

rkeller62

Reaction score
The other thing to look at is: are these NEW phone activations? And even if they are new phones - how many are replacing existing Android phones? A lot of people with OG Droids and even earlier phones are upgrading.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
The other thing to look at is: are these NEW phone activations? And even if they are new phones - how many are replacing existing Android phones? A lot of people with OG Droids and even earlier phones are upgrading.
Thats true but not to the tune of 21 million people in the last 60 days alone.

rkeller62

Reaction score

True, which is why I think they are counting ALL activations. Look at the current Droid X Gingerbread leak - how many 'activations' have happened in the last 2 days just from that! :icon_eek:

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

True, which is why I think they are counting ALL activations. Look at the current Droid X Gingerbread leak - how many 'activations' have happened in the last 2 days just from that! :icon_eek:

yeah, there really are a ton of things to take into account. Again I am not calling these reports false. I have no evidence or statistics to prove them wrong so I can't truly say they are wrong but I would like to see this a bit more broken down in detail.

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
I keep seeing this 350k a day activation rate and I just don't see how it is even remotely possible. That means in the last 60 days a total of 21 million android phones were activated. There are only 70 million smartphones in America alone. Yes android owns 33% of those now but that's coming from over 2 years worth of people buying phones. Even if this was a worldwide number it seems really inflated, IMO. Not calling these reports lies or anything, I am just truly curious as to how this is possible.

I'm sure the numbers are international. If so, they're believable...

Also, I keep forgetting to ask...what's with the Al Gore comment?

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

haha, you know how Al Gore claimed he invented the internet. It's just a tongue in cheek joke to that.

sgtguthrie

Reaction score

haha, you know how Al Gore claimed he invented the internet. It's just a tongue in cheek joke to that.

Okay, ya...I remember. I was just hoping you weren't actually giving him credit...the guy's a work of art...lol

Reaction score
The title even says theyre activating 350k android devices daily. It says nothing about new. Which could lead to the 16% growth pertaining to the new activations out of that 350k

Immolate

Reaction score
Success has many fathers. Failure is an orphan.

So if Al Gore voted yes on funding to (I assume) an increase in the scope of the original ARPANET project, that might give him some midwife cred, but certainly not fatherhood. ARAPNET came online in October of 1969, the month Gore graduated from Army basic training. He wasn't elected to office until 1976. Based on this information, I give Gore an "F" for "Fail" on inventing the internet. This may come as a surprise to nobody.

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Success has many fathers. Failure is an orphan.

So if Al Gore voted yes on funding to (I assume) an increase in the scope of the original ARPANET project, that might give him some midwife cred, but certainly not fatherhood. ARAPNET came online in October of 1969, the month Gore graduated from Army basic training. He wasn't elected to office until 1976. Based on this information, I give Gore an "F" for "Fail" on inventing the internet. This may come as a surprise to nobody.

Wow dude, I don't think anyone here was actually giving him any credit...just the opposite actually.