CEO Schmidt: 200k Android phones activated per day

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
ericschmidt200k.JPG

I hope you all have a sweet-tooth, as 2010: The Year of the Android just keeps getting sweeter and sweeter. Google CEO Eric Schmidt had a chance to chat about the current state of Android during a press huddle at Techonomy 2010, and announced that Android surpassed another important milestone. According to Schmidt, daily Android activations have finally broken the 200,000 barrier. This is up from 100,000 daily activations back in May (announced during Google I/O), and up from 160,000 just seven weeks ago (quoted from Andy Rubin).

Although Android is not growing as fast as it had at a few months back, these continuous increases in activations surely bode well for the future of Android. In comparison, Symbian (the world's leading smartphone platform) sees 300k activations per day. And we will slowly but surely trump that figure within the next couple years. Compare today's figure to that of May 2009, when we only saw 30,000 activations per day. UnwiredView has been following Android's growth since its inception:

200kactivationschart.JPG

Furthermore, Schmidt denounced the notion that since Android was open-source and free to use, it would not be financially sustainable: "Mobile Google Search ad revenue easily pays for all Android development." Guess that's settled once-and-for-all.

With a slew of devices to be released by the 2010 holiday season, Sprint's continued WiMax rollout, and Verizon's inevitable LTE network launch, this will surely make for an exciting finale to 2010: The Year of the Android.

via UnwiredView
source Twitter

Last edited:

ggaabe

Reaction score
nice. at this rate there won't be any iPhone users

Rindaen

Reaction score
200,000 Activations

From what I understand an Activation takes place when:
A Phone is Rooted
A phone is handed down
a new phone is purchased
So out of 200,000 Android Activations , How many are New Phone Purchases?

Correct me if im wrong, But looks to me Eric is just trying to create more Hype. Its all a Numbers game for them.