Android 4.0 update...

soulshot96

Reaction score
I can't wait for this, judgi g by how smooth it is on the nexus and with that rom people have going its going to be amazing! And it will be nice to have my phone and my tablet running the same OS. Hopefully moto and el Google will give us a little Christmas present from the freezer, eh?

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

kcrudup

Reaction score
I've built it and run it on a WiFi Xoom we have lying around the office, and it's very nice! A few minor bugs (YouTube doesn't work on HD videos, if you have a BT keyboard connected and have a PIN unlock code you can't use the on-screen keyboard to unlock your device, and one or two other little things) but it's very smooth and even after loading up a few apps it was running just fine.

I'd love to be able to put it on my own (3G/4G) unit, but Moto haven't released the baseband files to match the RIL in ICS so it's somewhat useless to me now, connectivity is a must. Soon, though, I'm sure.

OP
soulshot96

soulshot96

Reaction score
I hope we get the update sometime this month...what y'all think? I hope el' Goog hasn't forgot about all us xoomers. Lol. :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

movieman999

Reaction score
I, too, am super excited for my Xoom WIFI to get the update. It will seriously make it like an entirely new tablet. I'm extremely hopeful and confident we will see a significant performance increase, judging by how awesomely smooth the O/S runs on the Nexus, with kinda-similar hardware (both have dual-core processors, same amount of memory, etc...).

Unfortunately, I've just read some news that's pretty disconcerting:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/03/ice-cream-sandwich-coming-to-the-transformer-prime-january-12th/

Apparently, the ASUS Transformer Prime is getting ICS before the Motorola Xoom? Is anyone else confused by this? I had assumed when I purchased the Xoom, it being a Google Experience device, we would be getting ICS first. Why/How is it getting to a totally random tablet (Yeah, ASUS, you're random...) before a Google Experience device? That would be like the Droid X getting an update before the Nexus S -- it doesn't make sense.

I don't *really* mind...I'm just particularly looking forward to getting 4.0+ on my tablet, and it was one of the primary reasons for me purchasing the Xoom.

OP
soulshot96

soulshot96

Reaction score
I saw that also. I'm a bit peeved(lol) as that was also one of the main reasons for purchasing the Xoom. I know they have it working on the Xoom but something must be keeping them from releasing it. Hopefully we get it before the 12? That would be kinda cool.

mikedyk43

Reaction score
Although it is not official, there are fully functional ICS builds for Xoom on XDA. Just yesterday the Xoom devs got some help from someone that supposedly had a download to an "official" Chinese ICS Xoom update, and guess what, it turned out to be legit. Within hours they had the camera issues fixed and HDMI as well. Those of you wanting only official updates shouldn't have to hold out much longer either. There is much talk about Motorola sending out a "test" update to a few users registered at the moto dev site. Probably ICS.

OP
soulshot96

soulshot96

Reaction score
That's very good news. Thank you.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I'm definitely happy , LoL. As, too, will be my son. He with his 4g Xoom and I with my 8.2 XYboard, haha!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

bigjonmoo73

Reaction score
Any further word on when they are releasing ICS?? I'm so stoked for this update.

Sent from my Bolt running BAMF SoaB 1.4!

OP
soulshot96

soulshot96

Reaction score
Who knows man. I think im gonna pick up a host cable and install it manually.

movieman999

Reaction score
Motorola just released a soak test over the weekend. Once that's over, they'll be releasing it to the general public. Should be ready to download of us by the end of this week or next. If not, who knows haha. But, it's on the horizon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

pistacio

Reaction score
Maybe I'll wait...hmmm, decisions. Needed the cable anyway.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums