AMOLED has black spots in the dark

ambrown

Reaction score
Hey all, just got the Droid RAZR HD and gotta say I'm pretty impressed and love it! But just today I tried loading a YouTube video in the dark and saw dark spots on the screen. At first I thought this was from something on the screen that I could wipe off, but then noticed there were several all over. I quickly exited the video and it went away. Well after google searching I found this is a common problem with all AMOLED screens and can't really be fixed. Also that many who attempted replacements got back a device with the exact same problem. Now I also saw claims that the problem doesn't get worse either and is only detectable when testing a dark screen in a dark room.

Most of the complaints online are about the GS3 but I also saw that "all AMOLEDs have this problem" more than once.

So have any of you noticed this? Or am I the exception?

xmguy

Reaction score
Hey all, just got the Droid RAZR HD and gotta say I'm pretty impressed and love it! But just today I tried loading a YouTube video in the dark and saw dark spots on the screen. At first I thought this was from something on the screen that I could wipe off, but then noticed there were several all over. I quickly exited the video and it went away. Well after google searching I found this is a common problem with all AMOLED screens and can't really be fixed. Also that many who attempted replacements got back a device with the exact same problem. Now I also saw claims that the problem doesn't get worse either and is only detectable when testing a dark screen in a dark room.

Most of the complaints online are about the GS3 but I also saw that "all AMOLEDs have this problem" more than once.

So have any of you noticed this? Or am I the exception?

Almost every SAMOLED display I've seen has those spots. I too at first thought they were a defect. Now I know its just the way they are made.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Droid Forums

PetRiLJoe

Reaction score
That is interesting and I have not noticed that yet!

So if I wanted to check this out myself I would have to play a dark video in a dark room. Specifically video and not a static picture nor a paused video, is this correct?

Thanks,
-Joseph L

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
ambrown

ambrown

Reaction score
That is interesting and I have not noticed that yet!

So if I wanted to check this out myself I would have to play a dark video in a dark room. Specifically video and not a static picture nor a paused video, is this correct?

Thanks,
-Joseph L

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I've seen it on pretty much any dark area on the screen when I'm in a dark room. Others have talked about using screen testing apps to display a dark screen, but I've noticed it while paying games on a dark loading screen and when using YouTube as well. It might freak you out the first time you see it since it almost looks like there are dead pixels, but apparently this is just a defect that is part of the manufacturing process. It clearly doesn't affect the regular performance of the display, but it does affect the blacks on the screen. You just don't normally notice it unless you're in a dark room where you can see the black levels really well.

ChaserChick87

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I too thought it was a defect. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Haha.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2