Amazon's Best Selling Device is No Longer a Kindle; It's the Chromecast

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon-chromecat-number-one-seller.png

For months (maybe longer), Amazon's number one selling electronics product has been some variation of a Kindle product. That has recently changed though. The hottest selling piece of electronics on Amazon is now the Google Chromecast. The "little $35 dollar tech innovation that could" has been chugging along rapidly and eventually climbed that hill to the number one spot on Amazon's list. That's actually a remarkable achievement, considering how much Amazon pushes their own Kindle lineup.

As we shared earlier, this may be the real reason Google might actually be considering transforming GoogleTV into AndroidTV. This massive consumer interest shows that a newly transformed TV market is out there waiting to pop into existence. It just needs the right combination of products and ecosystem to make it happen. The Chromecast may have just opened the door. It's now up to Google to walk through it and do it in the right way.

Share your experiences with the Chromecast, and also share your ideas on what Google can do with it and AndroidTV to really capture this potentially huge transformational market.

Source: Phandroid

rherron

Reaction score
Love mine. Own two Roku devices but got a Chromecast just to check it out (for 35 bucks...). It's like a smart TV or Roku with a really great user interface -- your smart phone or tablet on the YouTube or Netflix website.

Bye, bye Roku.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've had one but sold it to a friend. Still requires a lot of updates and development to be fully functional. Doesn't support all video codes, doesn't support all video streams, doesn't support a lot of content. If Netflix, youtube or hulu is all you do this will rock but Boxee, nettops are still more functional but chromecast will surpass them in the future.

But not yet...

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
It is by far my favorite thing I bought this year. It's perfect when friends are over and we can just sling YouTube videos into the queue.

Or if you have All Access on the Play Music app it's great to stream music through a sound system that is decent.

LostRacer

Reaction score
I'm torn at this. It works great for my phone. I mainly use it for streaming music, i have 4 other devices including my dvr that can do YouTube. Netflix is just as simple. Using it from my laptop is practically useless. I don't understand with its own connection to my wifi, why its so slow. $35 to stream music from my phone to my tv...Neat device, but still in its infant stage IMO.

JDH

Reaction score
Over thanksgiving I bought one for my daughter and we installed on my laptop and her SG3 phone both worked flawlessly. Now I bought one for myself, and the trouble began. I tried to install from my Razr Maxx but when trying to input my security code for the home network my phone would not except. so, I finished the setup with my laptop first try, no problem. I cast from my laptop from Netflix as well as websites, everything running as should. Then I install chromecast on my razer Maxx and try casting from it, no luck. the setup screen on my tv displays "ready to cast" along with indicator for my home network showing full bars. Open chromecast on the razrMaxx and tap devices and screen shows "chromecast on home network" but after the search sequence it pops up that there is no chromcast on home network. I emailed a report of this to support but no response in two days.
any help will be greatly appreciated.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Over thanksgiving I bought one for my daughter and we installed on my laptop and her SG3 phone both worked flawlessly. Now I bought one for myself, and the trouble began. I tried to install from my Razr Maxx but when trying to input my security code for the home network my phone would not except. so, I finished the setup with my laptop first try, no problem. I cast from my laptop from Netflix as well as websites, everything running as should. Then I install chromecast on my razer Maxx and try casting from it, no luck. the setup screen on my tv displays "ready to cast" along with indicator for my home network showing full bars. Open chromecast on the razrMaxx and tap devices and screen shows "chromecast on home network" but after the search sequence it pops up that there is no chromcast on home network. I emailed a report of this to support but no response in two days.
any help will be greatly appreciated.

Silly question but you were on WiFi for your home network right?

JDH

Reaction score
Yes all devices are on same local network, full bars excellent signal to all.

JDH

Reaction score
Did a fdr, now everthing working.