Amazon Unbox - Warning

erasmussen14

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Amazon Unbox?

Bought season 1 of californication on there, downloaded the videos to my PC, they are wmv files, so won't play on the droid. Handbrake won't convert them to mpeg.

However, there is an option to download a portable file of the episodes on Amazon's Unbox. Awesome. Their low quality but at least I'll have the videos on the phone.

Only problem is the portable files are .amzn
Anyone have any idea what device will play that type of file? I've emailed Amazon and I'll let you all know when I know.

Heads up to anyone thinking of using Amazon's Unbox video on demand. Be wary.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i would only download them in .wmv and find something that CAN convert them. .amzn is not a valid codec extension. they have to be using something else.

D

dvdcatalyst

There are some "recorder" programs out there that can sort of dub the video to another format (remember VHS dubbing with 2 decks?) but you will lose quality.
WMRecorder is one of the dubbing apps, but there are more. There are a lot of fake "tutorials", over-hyped and overly expensive ones out there, so try before you buy, and always check and see if the buy-links do not contain some affiliate ID (a number at the end of the URL). Many of these apps pay-out 75% to affiliates (meaning they get like $40 from your sale when the app sells for $60), which should tell you something about the integrity of the article.

I find it easier to rent and rip the DVD instead, and you end up with better quality files.

If you want it completely easy, look in http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/2168-what-movies-your-droid.html for a droid-optimized version of of your movie

I also found this topic in regards of unbox and the iPhone that might help
Can I use Amazon unbox video downloads in my iPod Touch?

And with all this DRM stuff from the movie studios, they wonder why people find alternative ways to obtain what they want.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrdroid

Reaction score
I love Amazon; but their Unbox video is the most DRM'd piece of garbage. The only way you're converting those videos to a usable format is to screen rip and record the audio.

And with all this DRM stuff from the movie studios, they wonder why people find alternative ways to obtain what they want.

Exactly. DRM only does the opposite of it's stated intent.

OP
E

erasmussen14

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Good to know, was just about to order the second season but couldn't decide between blu ray, dvd, or unbox hd/standard.

Looks like DVD it is, then rip the dvd's. Gonna have to get the first season on DVD too it looks like.

Lesson learned.

Others be wary or Amazon Unbox.

E

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like tunebite for audio, and they support video too, though I haven't tried it.