Amazon Officially Announces New Tablets; 8.9" Kindle Fire HD & More

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Sep 6, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,253
    [​IMG]

Amazon just had their press event and officially announced a few products. They have the new Kindle Fire HD 7-inch and the Kindle Fire HD 8.9-inch. Here's a breakdown below:

Kindle Fire HD 8.9-Inch - Shipping November 20th for $299.99! (There will also be a 4G LTE Version of the 8.9" Kindle Fire HD, which will include 32GB Storage and will sell for $499.99)
    • Built-in WiFi Enhancement tech - MIMO (multiple-input and multiple-output) technology - the software selects the antenna that has less fading - two-antennas to cut down on interference (5GHz band and another that runs on the standard 2.4GHz band) - device buffering - The WiFi is 41 percent faster than the iPad 3
    • Dolby Digital Plus Audio - Stereo Speakers
    • TI OMAP 4470 CPU
    • 8.9 inch display, 254ppi - 1920 x 1200 - The touch sensor is laminated -- 25 % less glare. Sharper, clearer, better contrast - It's got a new polarizing filter on it to cut down on glare and increase the viewing angle
    • 8.8mm, 20 ounces
    • Looks similar to the old Fire
    • Front facing HD camera and customized Skype App
    • 16GB Storage
    • Double the RAM of last Kindle Fire (1GB to be precise)
    • Battery lasts longer and performance is 44 percent faster.
    • Multiple Unique Software Enhancements (especially some related to Amazon's ecosystem, including music, movies, books and games)
    Kindle Fire HD 7-Inch - Available September 14th for $199.99!
    • Built-in WiFi Enhancement tech - MIMO (multiple-input and multiple-output) technology - the software selects the antenna that has less fading - two-antennas to cut down on interference (5GHz band and another that runs on the standard 2.4GHz band) - device buffering - The WiFi is 41 percent faster than the iPad 3
    • Dolby Digital Plus Audio - Stereo Speakers
    • TI OMAP 4470 CPU
    • 7 inch display (similar specs to the larger model above)
    • Looks similar to the old Fire
    • Front facing HD camera and customized Skype App
    • 16GB Storage
    • Double the RAM of last Kindle Fire (1GB to be precise)
    • Battery lasts longer and performance is 44 percent faster.
    • Multiple Unique Software Enhancements (especially some related to Amazon's ecosystem, including music, movies, books and games)
    There is a third device that is a new variation of the original Kindle eReader. It is called the Kindle Paperwhite, and has a new front-lit eReader with Amazon’s latest E-Ink display. It will have a black and white touchscreen E-Ink display with 25% better contrast than previous-generation Kindles and 212 pixels per inch. It will be priced at $159.99, (hence the confusion earlier about prices).

Correction from above: Apparently, we still didn't quite have the facts 100% straight. Yes, there is going to be a new eReader called the Kindle Paperwhite, but the device for $159.99 will actually be an enhanced version of the current Kindle Fire (effectively a Kindle Fire 2). We are still unsure as to the price of the eReader.

Source: Kindle-FireForum

#1 dgstorm, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    im seeing $299 for the 8.9" 16GB and $199 for the 7" 16GB

B

3. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Current Phone Model:
    NEXUS 6
    I'd still go Nexus 7 or something from ASUS.

#3 tjk629, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    i was confused as hell about that as well. I had to read it several times to make sure i got it right

B

5. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief

Ratings:
    +4,253
    ^^. Yep... the live blog isn't always the most accurate way of doing things, but at least we got there in the end. ;)

6. PereDroid

PereDroid Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +2,893
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Mr. Bezos announces the Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE. It has 32 gigabytes of memory and will cost $499. The data plan will cost $50 a year for 250 megabytes. It ships Nov. 20 and can be ordered today.

Wait... is that $50 for 250 MB /month or /per year?
    250MB per year? That can't right?

I still wouldn't get a Kindle but this has to make Apple worry a little. A tab not even an inch smaller then iPad, from Amazon, for $299???
    They better come big next week.

I hate to see Apple fade. I love competition. But this, in addition to other tablet makers hitting the $300 price for 10" tabs??? Could be back to the niche market for you, Apple.

7. BJPalmer85

BJPalmer85 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    i want a tablet but am undecided on which to get. iPad is to pricey (wont matter if i can convince the rents to buy it for me for "school"). love my kindle so the new 7" tablet is appealing.

B

8. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,374
    I just got a Nexus7 recently and have no desire to upgrade to a Fire 2 since my Fire 1 is doing just fine , BUT I'm excited for those that are new to the tablet market or are in the market to upgrade their existing.
    Battery life better than the Fire1? I get 9-10 hours of screen time on mine now so even better than that on the new models is fantastic, imo.

Support Our Troops! !!!
    <><
    From my Beano

9. quaffapint

quaffapint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On another forum I saw the HD ones had hdmi out - that would be quite nice, especially with amazon prime.

10. rowdyguy124

rowdyguy124 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I must admit these new tablets are pretty innovative, even on the software side this was a pretty big upgrade for them. But I don't think I'm too interested in buying a subsidized locked in experience from Amazon. Too much like an apple flavored Android for me. I'll stick with the nexus 7 and TF Prime tabs for quite a while. Very happy with both.

11. combat_chuck

combat_chuck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I'm guessing this has very limited apps like the first kindle fire? If so, can it be rooted and run a ICS or JB rom? Seems like it could with 1GB of memory. Idk anything about that processor though.

12. droidxd00d

droidxd00d Member

Ratings:
    +8
    the omap 4470 is supposed to outperform the Tegra3 from what ibhave heard. so for the price this tablet looks pretty good. now if I could root it and install jellybean id be all over it

Search tags for this page

kindle fire hd 159.99

kindle fire hd 8.9 inch 159.99