Amazon Banning Users

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I guess Amazon is getting tired of having to deal with returns. They are starting to ban those who have too many returns. I guess you could always create another account but it can get messy if you are using amazon echo and other prime services.

I have mixed feelings about this. What about you?

last month, Amazon Prime members took to social media to share that their accounts had been closed without explanation, with some threatening a class-action lawsuit against the company.

Amazon banning shoppers who return items too often

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
I read that, as well. I hope that the average customer won't be affected. Once in a while you have to return a purchase. Some must make a real habit of buying and returning.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know criteria for being flagged frequent returner because I do quite a few returns myself but also spend thousands each year on purchases.

Checked my purchase history this year and I have 72 purchases and 6 of them returned.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
Sounds reasonable to me.
I'd like to know criteria for being flagged frequent returner because I do quite a few returns myself but also spend thousands each year on purchases.

Checked my purchase history this year and I have 72 purchases and 6 of them returned.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I have only returned one item since I started shopping on Amazon. It was back when

It would be nice if they would say but that is one of the biggest complaint, no criteria mentioned. It seems they do it out of the blue without noticed and from what I read, enforcement seems to be inconsistent.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
some bans are not permanent. You can call and hopefully get it reinstated but even the guy in the article had to change residence and a few other things in order to have an account with them again. Not everyone can do what he did. IMO, he was abusing amazon's return policy.

I also don't agree with amazons banned policy. they should be required to give warnings before a permanent ban. They should not be allowed to banned an ip address because it can be shared with more than one family members or households in apartments. Finally it should only be a shopping banned. They should not banned cloud services via amazon echo, alarm services and more

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
"About a year later, he created another account using his real name but without the VPN. That worked, too. He's now a regular Amazon customer, without any cloak-and-dagger tricks."

So it looks like bans have a time limit.

OP
me just sayin

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
"About a year later, he created another account using his real name but without the VPN. That worked, too. He's now a regular Amazon customer, without any cloak-and-dagger tricks."

So it looks like bans have a time limit.

yes he did but you left out the part where he moved so got a different ip address. it worked because more than one person can have the same name. and because of the different ip and physical address, amazon thinks its a different person. otherwise the article would have given the real name of the person.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
lol....I don't use Amazon all that often, and have probably had 2-3 returns. My percentage returns is probably in the 1-2% range. But it's also kind of the model. Clothes and shoes for example - you have to assume a HIGH return percentage on those.

Thought I read where some stores/sellers (not Amazon) were even far stricter on returns. At the end of the day, people will just pay a premium for the convenience, right? If online returns vs. in store returns are 20% vs. 2%, then you just adjust the price?

Returns are a PITA for me. And I have to see, touch and try on clothes. There are a few things I know my size and the brand is consistent that I buy online.