Am I completely screwed? Help getting back to stock

DroidGeekGrl

Reaction score
I rooted way back when. I needed Hebrew so I rooted and added the Hebrew font. Easy peasy and life went on.

Now I can't get Froyo OTA.

It aborts.

So, simple. I figure I'll download the update and install it myself.

Well, not so simple. Here's my error:

assert failed:
apply_path_check
("/system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf". "5065cce92e8420232db95ab3ba462609b965"
2f8a266389a8e22f68f402b775731eec6b760334
error in /sdcard/update.zip
Status 7

of course I nuked DroidSansFallback.ttf thinking that had to be the hangup but other than that I really haven't done anything but try to flash back to factory settings about 6 times (and I am SO hating life).

Can anyone help????? Or am I doomed to live with 2.1 update 1 until I throw the thing under a car and get a new Droid?

DroidGeekGrl

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I rooted way back when. I needed Hebrew so I rooted and added the Hebrew font. Easy peasy and life went on.

Now I can't get Froyo OTA.

It aborts.

So, simple. I figure I'll download the update and install it myself.

Well, not so simple. Here's my error:

assert failed:
apply_path_check
("/system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf". "5065cce92e8420232db95ab3ba462609b965"
2f8a266389a8e22f68f402b775731eec6b760334
error in /sdcard/update.zip
Status 7

of course I nuked DroidSansFallback.ttf thinking that had to be the hangup but other than that I really haven't done anything but try to flash back to factory settings about 6 times (and I am SO hating life).

Can anyone help????? Or am I doomed to live with 2.1 update 1 until I throw the thing under a car and get a new Droid?

DroidGeekGrl

DMUpdater 12 has the ability to flash unrooted 2.2

DM Updater | DroidMod.org

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
You nuked the font instead of replacing it with the default.

Try placing this folder "fonts" back in system, set permissions to match other fonts and retry.

Attachments

• fonts.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 243
OP
D

DroidGeekGrl

Reaction score
Since I rooted way back when, I don't even remember how to GET it back there. How do I copy it there? Please just treat me like the moron I truly have become :)

With DM Updater...just click from Droid browser???

DroidGeekGrl

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Since I rooted way back when, I don't even remember how to GET it back there. How do I copy it there? Please just treat me like the moron I truly have become :)

With DM Updater...just click from Droid browser???

DroidGeekGrl

What happens when you click on the link from your phones browser?

OP
D

DroidGeekGrl

Reaction score
I was able to click from browser and the program installed. Told me to restart and run update 1 - so I did. I ran update 1 and got the following error:

verifying update package
E: EOCD marker occurs after start of EOCD
E: sign verification failed
Install aborted

Next step before nuclear holocaust????

DDG

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
K, You might have to flash back an older version to fix.

Do you have a PC? if so Link #2 in my sig. option 1, then option 4. The links for the software are down so standby and I'll get them for you.

After you finish, Do the OTA update, then follow link #3 in my sig if you would like to root

OP
D

DroidGeekGrl

Reaction score
Just FYI the link to the 2.01 stock is 404 Not Found. Any other place to find it?

Thanks for all your help by the way...you're saving a Droid's life.

DDG

OP
D

DroidGeekGrl

Reaction score
Never mind :) I told you I was challenged :)

Now just waiting for SPRecovery - then I think I may be actually good to go.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Follow the instrutions exactly in both threads, if you need any help I'll be here.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry I couldn't get back to you, was out flying... I would have been curious to see if replacing the fonts corrected it, there were a lot of ROM users out there who kept "stock" but had failed updates due to changes made, such as removing default apps, and/or changing the fonts.

If you still wanted to try replacing the default fonts, you would download my attachment to your computer, extract the fonts folder from the zip file, then attach your droid via USB (or DL by hitting the link in your phones browser).

You could then place the folder on your SD card.

You would then have to use something like root explorer to move the folder to the system folder.

However it appears you are heading down the SPR road, nothing wrong with that either. In fact when you get everything back the way you like it, I highly advise rebooting to SPR and making a backup :)

That way if something happens later on you can just boot to recovery and perform a restore.

OP
D

DroidGeekGrl

Reaction score
S'okay :) What you told me to do worked PERFECTLY! I was able to follow your GREAT directions which were very clear and had the phone completely cleaned QUICKLY. Then Froyo started to load, FINISHED loading (my previous MAJOR issue - without the "your phone is screwed beyond belief icon") and I am a happy, non-rooted Froyoer. What I had originally rooted for (Hebrew) is available. I downloaded Slide w/ Hebrew add on and am partying on! dancedroid

You have been a REAL Droid-saver. Thank you so much for your patience and time!!!!!

You rocked THIS Geek Grl's world :)

Droid Geek Grl

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
S'okay :) What you told me to do worked PERFECTLY! I was able to follow your GREAT directions which were very clear and had the phone completely cleaned QUICKLY. Then Froyo started to load, FINISHED loading (my previous MAJOR issue - without the "your phone is screwed beyond belief icon") and I am a happy, non-rooted Froyoer. What I had originally rooted for (Hebrew) is available. I downloaded Slide w/ Hebrew add on and am partying on! dancedroid

You have been a REAL Droid-saver. Thank you so much for your patience and time!!!!!

You rocked THIS Geek Grl's world :)

Droid Geek Grl

Glad to help, enjoy rooted life:)

ryankhart

Reaction score
Thank You!

Tallica, thank you so much for those instructions you have DroidGeekGrl. She wasn't the only one with this same exact problem. I was dealing with the same thing, and I image many others as well. I'm so grateful I registered with the forum just to post this here.
dancedroid My phone's happy again.