Alleged 2.1 slowdown explained

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Damn thing is moving too quick for me to see, but mostly I see both near 60.

I realize that the figures are moving, but IMO I don't have this issue.

Stock manual update to 2.1, had no issues and all my apps run fine at this time.

Of course, if it is a bug that was in 2.0.1 and removed for 2.1, then it can be reoved again for the next update.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
I am not having any luck getting the ap tester installed, but I was thinking. Is it possible to throw one of the many switches in the build.prop file to correct this? I know which ones are used for the highspeed video tweaks, but I found a couple of other values/settings that could be tested.

I will try dowloading the speed test apk again later, to see if I can get it to install, to test, and perhaps edit the build.prop file.

Craig

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am not having any luck getting the ap tester installed, but I was thinking. Is it possible to throw one of the many switches in the build.prop file to correct this? I know which ones are used for the highspeed video tweaks, but I found a couple of other values/settings that could be tested.

I will try dowloading the speed test apk again later, to see if I can get it to install, to test, and perhaps edit the build.prop file.

Craig

That would be interesting indeed. One would think the dev who made this would have looked at those as well.

Bear in NM

Reaction score
These two lines in the build.prop look like likely candidates to try.

ro.media.enc.hprof.duration=60
ro.media.enc.lprof.duration=30

These correspond to the values in question, 30 and 60, and are not part of the video fps tweaks.

As to the developer, that thought crossed my mind, but it is possible that as the developers have to write for unrooted phones, and as the build.prop editing is only available to rooted devices, who knows??????

I will try later, as right now it is not snowing or blowing, so I have a date with some cold blue steel, a chronograph, and a pretty cool ballistic ap that was written for the droid. Droid does, for hunters/shooters............

Craig

Googleaddict

Reaction score
The only time i experience lagg i with the live wallpapers running. With a static wallpaper everything is buttery smooth. Remember, the nexus one runs live wallpapers so well because it has a processor twice as fast as the droids, plus twice as much RAM. Maybe the droid just cant handle the live wallpapers as well..

k1ng617

Reaction score
For all those having slowdown issues since after the update please help bring it to Google's attention here:

Issue 7520 - android - 2D frame rate cut in half after Motorola Droid 2.1 update - Project Hosting on Google Code

Simply star the topic by clicking on the star next to the topic title. Thank you! P.S you may need to sign into Google if you are not already.

Background: My games are terribly choppy/laggy/jumpy now ever since 2.1. I have restarted, battery pulled, and factory reset it and still the same.

slinky

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with my lag. I'll notice the phone "thinking" more and not responding for a while. I'm wondering whether it is all these apps that are not fully updated to 2.1.

k1ng617

Reaction score
Ok so I've been keeping tabs on the Google complaint and the OP of it created an app called "FPS2D" that is live on the market now. The app will allow you to test your Droids 2D rendering capabilities. I am hoping to get some feedback to see what others are getting - especially those who received the OTA update - so we can compare.

I have run it around 10x and am getting an average around 40fps which would not be so bad if it were consistent - meaning a bell shaped curve - but I am encountering jerkiness/choppiness that jumps back and forth between 30-60fps so it creates 2 peaks one at 30 and one at 60 which is highly unusual IMO.

Please download and post back Thanks in advance!

P.S I get a pretty consistent lowest frame rate of 11.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Here's the APK. If anyone wants it. Just place it on the root of your sd card and navigate to it using Astro. Click and install.

Very small APK

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I'll have to fire up Asphalt and as well as some other stuff later to see if there's any noticeable lagginess. I think instead of capping our Droids to save battery life, have the manufacturers make a better battery! :)

JCo352

Reaction score
mine says: fps=83 avg=39 min=7 max112, i did the manual update

tehpriest

Reaction score
On a stock 2.01 Milestone three passes;

avg=58 min=12 maz=171

avg=61 min=14 max=176

avg=60 min=14 max=186