Alleged 2.1 slowdown explained

tonydelite

Reaction score
it's more about the fact that 30 is just the avg. and it dips WELL below that. Mine dips to 8fps at times. It is very noticeable. If it was a solid 30 all the time, I wouldn't care.

I've also heard that this completely destroys the performance of some games and emulators, which I don't personally care for, but it is important to a lot of people.

this is definitely a bug, since it didn't exist before and doesn't seem to be present on other devices that use the android platform.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
1st, if you are using a generic app to judge performance, you are getting sucked into the benchmark game, which does not judge real world performance. Second, you are not able to judge 8 fps while using your phone, and 3rd, even if you are hitting that low, its due to another app on your phone. 4th, I get grate framerates with Asphalt 5. None of the other phones listed above do :D

moot

Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one having prb. with choppy emulators and 2d performance. Makes gameboid pretty much unusable and frustrating for me.

tonydelite

Reaction score
1st, if you are using a generic app to judge performance, you are getting sucked into the benchmark game, which does not judge real world performance. Second, you are not able to judge 8 fps while using your phone, and 3rd, even if you are hitting that low, its due to another app on your phone. 4th, I get grate framerates with Asphalt 5. None of the other phones listed above do :D

You seem to know a lot about me and my phone. Let me tell you first of all, I noticed a performance issue right after upgrading to 2.1 ... my eyes are very sensitive to framerate changes. call it a gift or a curse, but i notice these things. This is what attracted me to this thread in the first place... i simply noticed that certain applications on my phone were being drawn at inconsistent framerates.
and yes they are dipping to 8fps, and it is not because of any other application. i'm not some kid who loads his phone up with home screen replacements, launcher replacements, etc. the only apps i have installed are ones written by google, save for a few small one-shot apps like gps status and droidlight. i can come off of a fresh reboot and still get the same results. with no additional programs running!

i appreciate all the improvements in 2.1, and wouldn't want to go back to 2.0.1... but i do feel that the next software revision should address this issue.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
You could be some sort of genius, and I wouldn't belive you could tell it was 8 fps by just looking at it. What program are you using to measure it?

tonydelite

Reaction score
No, I can't tell it was 8fps just by eyeballing it. I used fps2d to get the hard numbers.

However, I could tell that the framerate was being erratic by eyeballing it. That's what caused me to investigate further in the first place.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
So my next question is, if this dip down that far is a 2.1 problem, how come I don't experience it? I still think its something you have installed.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Let me ask you this. Are you actually running fps2d and then moving to other things and coming back to see the fps at 8 or less?

Or are you reading it from the final result?