ALL of my problems thus far...

mynameiserich

Reaction score
First off I wanted to say that I'm loving the droid. It's an amazing phone with great capabilities. I am having a few issues though which I would like to address and see if others have solutions.

1. Lag - It seems that every once in awhile the phone really really lags. Flipping between screens is probably the worst I see it.

2. Battery life - I usually leave GPS on (but don't use apps that access it, so it really isn't running, wifi location services, and wifi. My battery seems to go very fast. I hate to toggle them on and off everytime I am somewhere I actually want to be connected to wifi, etc. Is this a huge battery drainer?? I have to charge my phone two or three times a day.

3. Does the Locale app search for your current location when it is running, even if I don't have a task set within it that requires GPS?? Am I able to just use the app to turn off GPS at a certain time, etc. etc.??

That is all I really have concern with. Any input would be great

xjman349

Reaction score
First off I wanted to say that I'm loving the droid. It's an amazing phone with great capabilities. I am having a few issues though which I would like to address and see if others have solutions.

1. Lag - It seems that every once in awhile the phone really really lags. Flipping between screens is probably the worst I see it.

2. Battery life - I usually leave GPS on (but don't use apps that access it, so it really isn't running, wifi location services, and wifi. My battery seems to go very fast. I hate to toggle them on and off everytime I am somewhere I actually want to be connected to wifi, etc. Is this a huge battery drainer?? I have to charge my phone two or three times a day.

3. Does the Locale app search for your current location when it is running, even if I don't have a task set within it that requires GPS?? Am I able to just use the app to turn off GPS at a certain time, etc. etc.??

That is all I really have concern with. Any input would be great

1. Dont use a task manager program and do a battery pull when you wake up. I had similar problems and this cured my problems in a jiffy.

2. I saw a great increase in battery life the second i uninstalled locale.

3. See #2. :)

Thats my input hope its ok lol.

OP
M

mynameiserich

Reaction score
How significant of a change are you talking? I would love to keep locale enabled. I love having my phone go on vibrate at work, back on volume when leaving, wifi on at home but off everywhere else, etc etc. But might have to reconsider if it drains the battery too much

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if you leave GPS on even though no app is using it, it is still constantly logging your location as an app would be.

OP
M

mynameiserich

Reaction score
I would have to disagree with that. I think that if you leave GPS on (just like if you remember on any other cellphone you can either leave it enabled for location based services or just emergency services) it only activates when needed. Like Locale enables it every ten minutes for a matter of 5 or 10 seconds to determine my current location and that's it. It does not constantly update my location.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had once or twice, where the droid system was using 95% cpu and was slow as F. I had to do a battery pull on one because I couldn't even get it to shut down in the mode, and then once it shut down but took about 3 minutes.

thelion

Reaction score
When GPS is enabled it is constantly searching for your location so that it is ready to go when you need it. GPS and wifi are MAJOR battery drainers. At first I kept mine on all the time as well and I could barely keep my phone powered half the day. Now that I keep them off except when in use, I unplug my phone at 7am and it goes strong until 10-11pm when I plug it back in (it is usually at about 30-40% when I plug it in at night). And that is with moderate use - email, browsing, Pandora etc.

OP
M

mynameiserich

Reaction score
hmmm ok...I'll have to give this a shot tomorrow for a fresh start...that would make sense....too bad though because I love having the locale app determine when to put my phone into silent mode, etc. I may consider getting a second battery so I can use the phone full power all the time...could probably even boost screen brightness if I knew I had more power waiting.

Vladimir

Reaction score
to just make it sure, you leave your gps on or you use it all the time? those are very minor things, not worth complaining about in my opinion lol, ;-) lets hear some positives.

windstrings

Reaction score
I keep my GPS off as most apps only need "general" location information and will get it from your wi-fi connection or your 3g connection... ie" maps, google sky, price scanners, where type programs etc...... its not real often you honestly need gps and when you do.. just turn it on as needed.

I keep wi-fi off too unless Im off for several days and will be at home.. as I get one third the same speed just with simple 3g and thats plenty fast for just normal browsing and downloading apps etc.

I use task killer to keep the beasts tamed down and only let them out of the cage when Im using them.