after kitkat no choice in voicemail ringtone???

KevlarBack

Reaction score
After kitkat install my unique ringtone set up for voicemail (verizon) will not play what I want. The list is there, I can search for tones, but when I set it for what I want it will not play. It will only use/play the "default notification sound" ringtone that is set up in "device" "sound" settings, and that tone I use for something else. Anyone found a simple solution to this?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Is the file you are using on the SD Card or internal memory? It might not work if its on the S D card.

OP
K

KevlarBack

Reaction score
Is the file you are using on the SD Card or internal memory? It might not work if its on the S D card.

Internal, all sounds I used before kitkat I moved to internal after upgrade.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
What folder are they in? I have mine in Internal > Notifications and just left myself a voicemail and it played a downloaded tone I put there a long time ago.

OP
K

KevlarBack

Reaction score
What folder are they in? I have mine in Internal > Notifications and just left myself a voicemail and it played a downloaded tone I put there a long time ago.

Thanks for the suggestions, I had it under internal storage/emulated/o

/media/audio/notifications

but then copied it to

/notifications (as you suggested)

reset it trying both locations again and it still just played the default????

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not sure why its not playing the tone you set. Have you tried a cache clear recently? The only other thing I can think of why its working on mine is...I did a Factory Data Reset a few weeks after the KK update just for good measure. I know that a FDR can be a real pain sometimes but it cleared up a few minor glitches I had and my battery has been a little better.

OP
K

KevlarBack

Reaction score
I'm not sure why its not playing the tone you set. Have you tried a cache clear recently? The only other thing I can think of why its working on mine is...I did a Factory Data Reset a few weeks after the KK update just for good measure. I know that a FDR can be a real pain sometimes but it cleared up a few minor glitches I had and my battery has been a little better.

I have used the "clear cache" in individual apps before (I guess the temp cache) but never used or cleared the "cache data" (mine is at 502MB) as I now read it will erase stored settings/history etc and certain things on all apps. Something like uninstalling and reinstalling an app. I don't want to go back to start on many of these. Is voicemail considered an app?

I also do not want to perform a FDR for the same reason.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Cache clear has never erased any data or settings on my phone and I do one every other day. FDR...yes erases everything. I agree...a FDR might be excessive for one minor issue like this. Here are the instructions to clear the phone cache. I know the link is for a Moto X...but our steps changed with KK and are the same as this now:
https://motorola-global-portal.cust..._id/94946/p/30,6720,8696/kw/cache/action/auth

OP
K

KevlarBack

Reaction score
Cache clear has never erased any data or settings on my phone and I do one every other day. FDR...yes erases everything. I agree...a FDR might be excessive for one minor issue like this. Here are the instructions to clear the phone cache. I know the link is for a Moto X...but our steps changed with KK and are the same as this now:
https://motorola-global-portal.cust..._id/94946/p/30,6720,8696/kw/cache/action/auth

Thanks once again for the info.

I just wiped my "Cache Partition" (first time trying this) using the special boot up menus and still have the same problem w/ the sound??

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Hmmm...I'm not sure. At least you know how to clear the cache now...helps keep things running smooth.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Had another idea. What type of file are you using, MP3, etc? Maybe there is an issue with KK and the types of files that will play as a Voice Mail notification. The ones that work on my phone are .ogg tones that I downloaded from somewhere (found the link on this forum a long time ago). They are notification tones from other phone models that I like and I saved them on my SD card and copied them over to internal to use. Maybe try downloading a .ogg notification tone that is not already on the RAZR M and place it in the Internal Notification folder and see if that one works.

OP
K

KevlarBack

Reaction score
Another great suggestion, I did try an .ogg file and also converted my .mp3 to .ogg and is still unfortunately plays the default sound.