after kitkat no choice in voicemail ringtone???

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR M' started by KevlarBack, Jun 30, 2014.

1. KevlarBack

KevlarBack New Member

After kitkat install my unique ringtone set up for voicemail (verizon) will not play what I want. The list is there, I can search for tones, but when I set it for what I want it will not play. It will only use/play the "default notification sound" ringtone that is set up in "device" "sound" settings, and that tone I use for something else. Anyone found a simple solution to this?
  2. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

Is the file you are using on the SD Card or internal memory? It might not work if its on the S D card.
  3. KevlarBack

KevlarBack New Member

Internal, all sounds I used before kitkat I moved to internal after upgrade.
  4. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

What folder are they in? I have mine in Internal > Notifications and just left myself a voicemail and it played a downloaded tone I put there a long time ago.
  5. KevlarBack

KevlarBack New Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I had it under internal storage/emulated/o

/media/audio/notifications

but then copied it to

/notifications (as you suggested)

reset it trying both locations again and it still just played the default????
  6. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

I'm not sure why its not playing the tone you set. Have you tried a cache clear recently? The only other thing I can think of why its working on mine is...I did a Factory Data Reset a few weeks after the KK update just for good measure. I know that a FDR can be a real pain sometimes but it cleared up a few minor glitches I had and my battery has been a little better.
  7. KevlarBack

KevlarBack New Member

I have used the "clear cache" in individual apps before (I guess the temp cache) but never used or cleared the "cache data" (mine is at 502MB) as I now read it will erase stored settings/history etc and certain things on all apps. Something like uninstalling and reinstalling an app. I don't want to go back to start on many of these. Is voicemail considered an app?

I also do not want to perform a FDR for the same reason.
  8. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

Cache clear has never erased any data or settings on my phone and I do one every other day. FDR...yes erases everything. I agree...a FDR might be excessive for one minor issue like this. Here are the instructions to clear the phone cache. I know the link is for a Moto X...but our steps changed with KK and are the same as this now:
    https://motorola-global-portal.cust..._id/94946/p/30,6720,8696/kw/cache/action/auth
  9. KevlarBack

KevlarBack New Member

Thanks once again for the info.

I just wiped my "Cache Partition" (first time trying this) using the special boot up menus and still have the same problem w/ the sound??
  10. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

Hmmm...I'm not sure. At least you know how to clear the cache now...helps keep things running smooth.
  11. sajokaz

sajokaz Active Member

Had another idea. What type of file are you using, MP3, etc? Maybe there is an issue with KK and the types of files that will play as a Voice Mail notification. The ones that work on my phone are .ogg tones that I downloaded from somewhere (found the link on this forum a long time ago). They are notification tones from other phone models that I like and I saved them on my SD card and copied them over to internal to use. Maybe try downloading a .ogg notification tone that is not already on the RAZR M and place it in the Internal Notification folder and see if that one works.
  12. KevlarBack

KevlarBack New Member

Another great suggestion, I did try an .ogg file and also converted my .mp3 to .ogg and is still unfortunately plays the default sound.
Search tags for this page
abdulla fdr ring tone
choice name ringtones
choice voice mail ringtone

fdr name ringtone

fdr name ringtones
fdr rengtone
fdr ringtone

fdr ringtone name

fdrs name ringtone
kit kat tones