Advice on Droid 2 Gingerbread Update

Mikecrb

Reaction score
I've read numerous posts online about bugs and issues with upgrading the Droid 2 to Gingerbread.
Wondering if issues have been fixed since the September release, or if it's still worth avoiding the jump. Thanks!

rosem119

Reaction score
I'm interested in this as well. Problems I've been having are phone turns itself back on after I turn it off, and late appointment reminders.
I've seen no notice of any fixes except reverting back to froyo.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

garrettcorn

Reaction score
it really isn't worth the update in my opinion..

and no the bugs really haven't been fixed. if you do decide to upgrade get on a custom rom really quick like CM7 aren't bad, but i would stay on foyo if i was you

OP
M

Mikecrb

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback- I'm going to be giving a droid 2 as a gift (to replace a broken phone beyond contract) and it's a floor model running Froyo. I'm not sure if I should tell the recipient ( who's not a big tech/phone person) to avoid the Gingerbread update, or whether it worth taking on. I've been running Gingerbread on a Droid 3 and it is ok except for a few wallpaper resets, a lost contact picture and an annoying phone reset now or then. But the issues with Gingerbread on the Droid 2 I've read about seem to be really varied and across the whole operating system. I read one string of article replies where there was like 60-70 people who had issues and only a couple who didn't...yikes.
I remember reading that the Droid Global 2 update was pulled back because of some bugs, maybe I'm just a few months behind
on what's been updated not for sure and some of this has been fixed....maybe not.

What would you recommened for the D2, stick with Froyo? Thanks!

rosem119

Reaction score
I'll be moving to an iPhone when I can.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

lizard

Reaction score
I thought Froyo was buggy when I first got my phone so I flashed a custom rom. The only reason I took the Gingerbread update was to get to the latest official version (@ the time) of CM7. The version from 10/06/2011 works flawlessly for me.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

Tim_Hall

Reaction score
I used Rsd lite and sbf because I was bootlooped and inadvertently went back to froyo- love it!

TDL1068

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
If I had to do it over again I would for sure stay with Froyo! I like the upgrades to Gingerbread but not all the bugs, including unintended restarts.