advice needed, please

Goofy Yno

Reaction score
I am about to get a new phone, which I think will be a note 3. I have had an OD then a Bionic, which was frustrating me when they jumped to JB. I was waiting for the S5, but I needed to factory boot it, so rather than re setting it up, I’m moving.

Questions:
1) Is the note a good fit for me?

I basically use it as a small computer, mostly email, texting and internet use. I play a few basic games. I mostly want good, quick connections and function.
I don’t root mostly because I’m afraid I’ll F it up, and I’m not sure I need to (esp if it voids warranty)

2) Which are the bast apps for these on Samsungs (note 3 particularly): (or is stock the way to go)
A Internet browser? - most important. i like a set home page with easy to get to favorites, and google browse on opening.
B Camera (need it for quick pix of kids, occasionally.) I was using fx witch I do like
C Photo gallery- have not liked any, was using stock, then fish bowl, then a few more.
D I like the note taking ability, which app to use.

Any other advice.

TECHTOM

Reaction score
If I where you I would look at the nexus 5. It gets the newest softwarer updates has LTE acceptable battery and its cheap! Also rooting won't mess up your phone, what you do with it could, like using custom ROMs or apps that tweak the way tour phone works. There isn't any point in rooting if you only do what you stated. Basically if you want a very fast stable lag free phone go with the nexus 5, if you like big battery big screen and lots of functions and features go with the note 3

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

KaChow

Reaction score
If I where you I would look at the nexus 5. It gets the newest softwarer updates has LTE acceptable battery and its cheap! Also rooting won't mess up your phone, what you do with it could, like using custom ROMs or apps that tweak the way tour phone works. There isn't any point in rooting if you only do what you stated. Basically if you want a very fast stable lag free phone go with the nexus 5, if you like big battery big screen and lots of functions and features go with the note 3

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

^^ Could have been a helpful suggestion if you would have noticed that the OP currently has a Motorola Bionic listed in the profile, which indicates Verizon as the wireless carrier. Nexus 5 is not available on Verizon as of yet, and for those that have been around to remember the experience of the last Nexus device on Verizon's network, let's just leave it at that...

But, back on topic, the Note 3 is a great device I highly recommend it. Keep in mind removable Battery and Expandable Ext Storage to 64gbs, these are big items(Nexus only has 16gbs internal LOL.) It will certainly do all the things that you want it to do and more, there are still things I am learning about this device and I've had it since release on Verizon. I would not discourage you from attempting to Root your device, and I would happily walk you step-by-step through it, main reasons people Root their devices is to remove adware and bloatware that basically wears down the life of your battery. As for the apps that you are asking about, I use the stock apps that came with the device which are Samsungs. The camera blows the bionic out of the water, but of course that is to be expected, the image options are much greater and certainly not too complicated. The Gallery is the best app to use photo's which there is also an editor that is included, the default video player is simply called "Video" which happens to be great you can look the buttons and through device at the kids and let them watch a cartoon during a car ride. S Note is good for quick notes, Action Memo is the app that let's you write down phone numbers and link them, etc. One the apps that I happen to really like in public places is the WatchOn there's a Remote Control function built into the app, this past weekend I spent 3 hours at the Car Shop, there was no remote control for the TV and it was out of reach, I just changed the channels and watched what I wanted.

The Note 3 is an amazing device, if you have some time and really want to see something that will simply amaze you check out this post, I posted earlier back in October.... Good luck with the decision!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Yea get the Note 3. Nice big display, very fast and nice big battery! Best phone out right now imo

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Concur on the Note 3. Great phone one of the best battery lives out there. Quad core. Removable battery and micro sd card. Nice big display. You do not need a third party app to take notes. The note taking ability is built right into the Note 3. It has a FANTASTIC camera! Awesome phone! You will not be disappointed.

OP
Goofy Yno

Goofy Yno

Reaction score
I watched the vid links KaChow linked to, WOW!!!! this thing is amazing. I can't wait to get it. if this thing works half that good, I'll be a very happy guy.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Congrats on your Note 3.....Welcome to the family!

sent from my Hot Galaxy Note 3 ;-)

KaChow

Reaction score
I watched the vid links KaChow linked to, WOW!!!! this thing is amazing. I can't wait to get it. if this thing works half that good, I'll be a very happy guy.

Yeah, if were amazed by those Videos you gotta check out the series for Gadget Portal, here is the search if you want to learn some real specific tools like the camera functions and setting up the lockscreen (I mean you can setup the lockscreen so you don't even need to unlock your device) all that stuff is right there. This phone has so much technology in it, it's just amazing!

OP
Goofy Yno

Goofy Yno

Reaction score
Yeah, if were amazed by those Videos you gotta check out the series for Gadget Portal, here is the search if you want to learn some real specific tools like the camera functions and setting up the lockscreen (I mean you can setup the lockscreen so you don't even need to unlock your device) all that stuff is right there. This phone has so much technology in it, it's just amazing!

oh, I can't wait. i hate unlocking devises- the stay on my hip in a holster or at home so I'm not that worried about security. I had an permanent unlock app on the last phones.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well everyone pretty much covered the important stuff! Note 3 is a great phone. And for all you use it for, the stylus should really top off the cake! Honestly it might seem weird and/or unnecessary at first, but if you FORCE yourself to use it, eventually you'll realize how great it is and naturally use it all the time. If I'm ever using my phone for more than 45 seconds, I'll usually use the stylus.

Let's see...

A) Firefox. I have tested every single one of the major ones for a week or more. Firefox is the fastest, I don't care what anyone says. Compare it side by side with any of the others, Firefox always loads first. I also haven't had ANY trouble playing flash videos on it. Once you figure out how it works, it's also incredibly efficient, though it might seem daunting at first. And it'll even sync up with Firefox OR Chrome if you use that on your computer.

B) I also use FX so I'd stick with that :p

C) Gallery is a bit trickier because it depends. Some have more security, some have a better layout, more folder options...this one you should just play around with.

D) I don't use this often so I'm not sure, but I thought the app was built in?

3L1

Reaction score
Note 3! And no looking back!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk