Adobe Flash + OG Droid

michaelearth

Reaction score
I dont know if this is just my phone or a widespread problem but when trying to play flash videos like youtube or other embedded videos on websites using the adobe flash in the stock browser the video is REALLY choppy to the point where its unwatchable.

Is this how all the OG Droids handle flash? Ive even tried to use it when my droid is OC'd to 1.2ghz and it was still choppy as hell. Then the other day my friend got a Droid X and it played everything so smooth.

Any suggestions to get this working better or am I stuck with the performance i have?

OP
M

michaelearth

Reaction score
I never got answer for this and im still curious so I thought id bump this thread and hopefully get an answer.

jellybean420

Reaction score
I never got answer for this and im still curious so I thought id bump this thread and hopefully get an answer.

Sadly I think its the Droid 1. Mine was choppy also even on wifi. Since I got my Droid X it's alot faster with almost to lag. Especially watching tv shows. Its great. But sadly not on the Droid 1.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mr_silent

Reaction score
Mine handles flash fine @ 1.2ghz, although I lower my sampling rate to 32000 and the up threshold to 20, I also use a "fixed flash apk" as well.
Sent from my Milestone 1 using Droid Forums app
Try a google search for "flash-fixed.apk" Think I got it from xda forums.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
My friend is tech illiterate (sorry bud!) And has never modified his OG Droid in any way, and he has told me multiple times that ever since he received the latest couple of updates (I assume he refers to eclair and froyo) his Droid 1 has gotten progressively slower.

:/

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my D2G

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I was...

Wait no!

Dont get the wrong idea,
I dont know the original poster, i was talking about a personal friend of mine!

:D

mr_silent

Reaction score
Oops, way off on my last post. It does seem to get slower. Maybe its the processor or memory wearing out. I recall the phone running hot when I was on stock, but I never monitored the temp back then.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
No worries bud! Lol

I dont think the proc or ram could wear out that fast, i mean i know desktop computers arent a great comparison but heck there are working intel 8086 based tanks that still run like the day they were made.

As far as temps are concerned, the battery cant handle the heat made by the cpu, but the cpus themselves are designed to handle usage harsh enough to push them above 70 celsius...

I have this nagging suspicion that a good sample TI cpu from the OG droid, if it were hooked up to a fan and heatsink, could very well push 2 Ghz. My D2G on the other hand, cant even OC from 1200 to 1300 without freezing up.

Biggdogg76

Reaction score
You may want to actually lower your clock speeds in SetCPU and try 800MHz or 900MHz instead of overclocking it to 1200MHz. Believe it or not overclocking can make the video choppy also. My Droid1 runs fine and plays Flash and YouTube videos very smooth. Bad 3g coverage area or low battery will cause problems too.

OP
M

michaelearth

Reaction score
Mine handles flash fine @ 1.2ghz, although I lower my sampling rate to 32000 and the up threshold to 20, I also use a "fixed flash apk" as well.

Whats the advantage of changing the sampling rate and threshold?

Thanks

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont think the proc or ram could wear out that fast, i mean i know desktop computers arent a great comparison but heck there are working intel 8086 based tanks that still run like the day they were made.

Unfortunately, with the amount of times some of us flash our phones with different ROMs, our Flash memory can wear out. I've developed a whole crapload of bad blocks in my data partition from repeated reflashing.

I have this nagging suspicion that a good sample TI cpu from the OG droid, if it were hooked up to a fan and heatsink, could very well push 2 Ghz. My D2G on the other hand, cant even OC from 1200 to 1300 without freezing up.

Well, you have to remember that the D2G and D1 use the same basic CPU core, and the most overclockable D1s usually top out around 1.3GHz. The Droid is so overclockable because the stock CPU speed is on the low end of what the core is capable of. The D2G's CPU is running closer to the edge, since it's clocked 2x higher by default.

You may be correct about hitting 2GHz with HSF unit attached, but perhaps not. The wall that is generally hit is not necessarily heat related (or voltage related for that matter) - it might be the limit for that particular version of the Cortex A8 core.

mr_silent

Reaction score
I have a similar suspicion myself. The other day I was looking at the battery cover of my phone, and I thought about butchering it so I could attach a small fan and design a little makeshift cooling system for it. Possibly using freon or CO2 to run through the phone itself, although I'm probably not technically skilled enough to pull it off, it seemed like a good idea. However, I could only imagine how monstorously bulky the thing would look. Lol

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

shmoo

Reaction score
I have a similar suspicion myself. The other day I was looking at the battery cover of my phone, and I thought about butchering it so I could attach a small fan and design a little makeshift cooling system for it. Possibly using freon or CO2 to run through the phone itself, although I'm probably not technically skilled enough to pull it off, it seemed like a good idea. However, I could only imagine how monstorously bulky the thing would look. Lol

When I first started OCing I tried something like this. I took the clear case from VZW and put a couple little fans on it. Ill post some pics up tomorrow after work

mr_silent

Reaction score

Whats the advantage of changing the sampling rate and threshold?

The sampling rate is how often the OS checks the workload on the processor.
The up threshold is the point at which max throttling kicks in.
To learn more about these features search the forum for "OverClock 101" sorry I'm using the app and haven't figured out how to post links with it.

@ shmoo ill be looking forward to seeing those. Awesome