Adfree and Words with Friends

keithsmith22

Reaction score
OK. I decided to give adfree a try. While it has worked perfectly on all the other games, it messes up Words with Friends. To the point you can't play it. A large website link shows up and covers the whole screen. I uninstalled adfree but its effects seem to be permanent. Is there a way to reverse it?

TIA

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have you tried a reboot?

Can you go to manage applications/all/words with friends and clear the cache?

Good luck.

OP
keithsmith22

keithsmith22

Reaction score
I tried all those things. I even uninstalled and re-installed the app from the Market. Still nothing. It's a pain because I play that game a lot.

Bob The Great

Reaction score
Uninstalling adfree won't reset your hosts file, which is what is actually doing the ad blocking (or redirecting, more correctly).

Reinstall adfree and do a "revert" to clear your hosts file, then reboot to clear your DNS cache, and try WWF again. Alternatively, you can use something like root explorer to just delete the hosts file and then reboot, and it will recreate itself without all of the blocked URL's.

sirdroid

Reaction score
OK. I decided to give adfree a try. While it has worked perfectly on all the other games, it messes up Words with Friends. To the point you can't play it. A large website link shows up and covers the whole screen. I uninstalled adfree but its effects seem to be permanent. Is there a way to reverse it?

TIA

I am having the same problem playing words with friends. I am attaching a screenshot of the error. Any help to clear this error would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• CAP201102281913.jpg
    CAP201102281913.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,568

sirdroid

Reaction score
Uninstalling adfree won't reset your hosts file, which is what is actually doing the ad blocking (or redirecting, more correctly).

Reinstall adfree and do a "revert" to clear your hosts file, then reboot to clear your DNS cache, and try WWF again. Alternatively, you can use something like root explorer to just delete the hosts file and then reboot, and it will recreate itself without all of the blocked URL's.

Thanks Bob The Great, your suggestion worked. You are the man!:icon_ banana:

blakzer0

Reaction score

TIA

I am having the same problem playing words with friends. I am attaching a screenshot of the error. Any help to clear this error would be highly appreciated.

I had the same problem. but I didn't want to get rid of AdFree. I found this post: Words With Friends Free & AdFree Android FIX « Lambert on Tech . This will still give you Ads on Words With Friends but keep the rest of your apps ad free.

If you are familiar with the Android Terminal Emulator application you can run the following commands:
Code:
su root
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
vi /system/etc/hosts
?androidsdk.ads
dd
?mydas.mobi
dd
:wq

Cpipkins

Reaction score

This fixed the issue for me, after several days of wondering what happened to my game. It also affected my TMZ app with the same type of long link after clicking on a story. Thank you so much for the input and help! This fixed that issue as well.