Address Book / Contacts Disappearing

KumaDroid

Reaction score
Is there a clear answer as to why contacts disappear? I back up my contacts regularly to the SD card, so if I lose them I can always import them. But the fact that they disappear (for lack of a better term) sucks. I've had my phone for about a month and this has happened a couple of times, either partial contacts gone or the entire list.

I've gone through the steps and precautions to backup and restore them, but why do they go? and where do they go? Its Pretty annoying.

Thanks in advance

DroidJeff

Reaction score
i just ran into that exact same problem. I was talking on the phone and lost the call and looked in my phone log to call back and all my contacts, recent calls, etc had disappeared.. and i lost a few phone numbers that i just recently got that hadnt yet synced with my gmail. what happened and can i get the ones i lost back?

bigthinker

Reaction score
What apps have you loaded onto your phone? This happened to me one time when I had downloaded a SMS/MMS application from the market:motdroidhoriz:

DroidJeff

Reaction score
im using handcent.. the message widget i used to have would delete my inbox but i unistalled it. it never messed with my contacts though

Bandolero

Reaction score
This happened to me too at around 10:05 PM EST today Wednesday Feb 3rd 2010.

It is also my second time and it is truly worrisome.

I tried to resynch my contacts with GMail after I notice my empty contact list but it showed me an error:

"Synch is currently experiencing a problem. It will be back shortly"

Did anyone else have this problem? I had the same error message the last time it happened.

I am really worried about a phone that would erase my contacts and phone log based on the access to a server.

My application list is:

Astro
Gallery
Color Note
Swype
Nerdy Tip Calculator
The Weather Channel
Where is my droid

and Handcent SMS but I did not have this app the first time.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
This happened to me too at around 10:05 PM EST today Wednesday Feb 3rd 2010.

It is also my second time and it is truly worrisome.

I tried to resynch my contacts with GMail after I notice my empty contact list but it showed me an error:

"Synch is currently experiencing a problem. It will be back shortly"

Did anyone else have this problem? I had the same error message the last time it happened.

I am really worried about a phone that would erase my contacts and phone log based on the access to a server.

My application list is:

Astro
Gallery
Color Note
Swype
Nerdy Tip Calculator
The Weather Channel
Where is my droid

and Handcent SMS but I did not have this app the first time.

Get used to it... this device is defaulted to sync everything so all the information (contacts ect.) is actually stored 'in the cloud.' You can disable that in the settings (Menu>Settings>Account and Sync Settings>Auto-Sync) if you want to avoid such things in the future.

Huh... I just went there, it showed the "experiencing problems" error but my contacts have not disappeared. Interesting.

DroidJeff

Reaction score
well my auto sync setting was off when it happened so that couldntve been the reason

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
well my auto sync setting was off when it happened so that couldntve been the reason

Wow... now that is interesting, and no doubt annoying. Had you recently installed any new programs or screen replacement apps?? Has to be something tied to an app or something (like SMS handler) that has access to the contacts.

Also are you using the stock (2.0.1) ROM or have you flashed a cooked ROM?

OP
K

KumaDroid

Reaction score
I'm running 2.0.1, and Panda as a home replacement. When my list disappeared, the first time was with the default Home and sync on, the second time was a week of Panda running and the sync off.

Right now, I'm just waiting for my Contact ID pics to refresh after re-importing my list. Even backing it up and importing, i still lose ring tones assigned to specific contacts. I have to re-assign them.

bastosero

Reaction score
I'm experiencing this problem now too, but I only lost one contact in my contacts list. I was about to call someone else from my list when I noticed that one of them is missing. I tried to manually search for the missing contact and found it, but I don't know why it's not showing up in the list. What I did is put that missing contact in my Favorites for now. I hope there's a solution to this.

Edit: Well, I finally found a solution to my problem. Here's the link to solve it on another thread about this problem for those who are experiencing it also.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ns/14523-one-contact-cant-found-contacts.html

mlcdroid

Reaction score
Disappearing Contacts and lost ringtone assignments

So, there are a number of different threads where people may be talking about the same thing. In any event, the "lost contacts until after my phone sync'd" problem happened to me a couple of nights ago. And, when the re-synching was complete, all of my assigned ringtones were lost.

Could someone shed some light on this? Why aren't contacts just stored natively on the SD card or internal memory so they're never lost? This is a huge pain. I love many things about the Droid, but first and foremost, it needs to be a phone and reliable contacts information is critical for a phone.

steeplecab

Reaction score
I've experienced this a few times today. I've added a contact and twice it didn't show up. On a third occasion it shows up in "Frequently called" under Favorites, but not in Contacts. I've switched off Auto-sync. I don't know if that will make a difference or not. This is very frustrating as I'm using this partially for work, and I can't afford to lose contacts. (mumblemumblemumble)

Followup: bastosero - Thanks! That seemed to solve the problems. How does the Droid figure out which groups to put things in?