ActiveSync + Exchange - marking "read"

4GaugeSurprise

Reaction score
I have been tasked with making the DROID X work with our corporate email (Exchange 2010) and for the most part the ActiveSync setup has been pretty straightforward. I have done the research and found many of the current limitations of the ActiveSync implementation on this device but there is one function I can't seem to find info on and I sure can't seem to get it to work.

Messages are received on the DX and I can read them but they never get marked as read on the server. I can delete just fine so I know there is a 2way communication working. Has anyone had this issue, or does anyone know if this is a setting on the DX I missed?

Thanks.

vtek63

Reaction score
works fine on mine. you may have to wait a little while before it updates.

OP

4GaugeSurprise

Reaction score
left a few messages for 3 days and counting now. Deleted a few messages on the DX and watched as they vanished from Outlook but the "unread" messages are staying that way.

vtek63

Reaction score
just tested mine and it marked as read after several seconds.

do you have this setting set?

data manager -> data delivery -> email and corporate sync -> email delivery -> data push (check this option if it is not checked)

also under data delivery, do you have background data enabled?

OP

4GaugeSurprise

Reaction score
Thanks. I checked that option and I do have it set to push. Figures I would get all the tough stuff working properly - SSL certs and running through a Forefront TMG - but one seemingly basic function doesn't work for me.

vtek63

Reaction score
you could also go the way of hard resetting the phone and trying to set it up again... maybe just a fluke?

have you also tried it on wifi? try connecting it to your internal network via wifi if available (also disable 3g) and see if all the functions work.

Last edited:
OP

4GaugeSurprise

Reaction score
been down that road already as well :( . as part of my build/test I has set up a special address and used that for a couple of days. Then I did a full reset on the phone and set it up with my account.
I am the only person in the IT department with an Android device, let alone a DX so I can't test it with another phone.

Personally I would like to keep company issued phones all RIM because of the security / lockdown / app / web filtering control we have on those but a top executive wants a DX and doesn't care about we have to go through to make it seamless. Personal opinions aside, I need to make sure I have a full and accurate breakdown of what DX can and can't do.

404-not found

Reaction score
I've had much better luck with Touchdown than the native mail app for exchange email.

Barryvabeach

Reaction score
Sorry, I have outlook 2007 and it marks messages read within a few seconds usually. Have you used a remote computer to access your outlook account from the web to see if that causes the emails on the server to show as read - if it doesn't work from that route, it might be an exchange setting on the server that needs to be changed.

apatelcc

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem in the same environment: droid x, exchange 2010. Anyone find a solution?

OP

4GaugeSurprise

Reaction score
OK, here's what I found so far. First I will say that I am not blaming the DX but it is just part of the equation. I have Outlook 2007 open and logged into the Outlook Web App (OWA) on another system. New mail comes in and all 3 (DX included) show the message. I read the message on the DX and it shows "read" on the DX AND on OWA but does NOT show "read" in Outlook. I have even closed Outlook / rebooted and checked again but outlook does not show "read". If I open the message in OWA it marks it "read" all the way around.
So now I am left with this theory: there is more than one "read" flag in Exchange 2010 (possibly others). Let's say "Ra" and "Rb". ActiveSync on the DX only trips "Rb" - OWA can read and trips "Ra" and "Rb" - Outlook 2007 trips "Ra" and "Rb" but can only read "Ra".

Again - This is only my theory, I will have to do some research to see what's really going on.

* apatelcc: Do you also have a BES server in your environment? Are you only using Exchange2010 or do you have a mixed environment (I'm in the middle of a migration from 2003 so I have a side-by-side). PM me if you want to share notes and hash this out.

OP

4GaugeSurprise

Reaction score
SOLUTION!
Looks like the issue was caused by the fact that the accounts being tested also had BES accounts. Those were left in place to make sure important messages came through during the DX test period. Not sure exactly why that would cause the specific symptoms but once I removed all BES hooks from my account the "read" sync started working properly.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
- every time an email client has a problem with Exchange, it's really Microsoft's fault
- however, the stock email client on the original Droid SHOULD NOT BE USED BY ANYONE. Is your phone's stock email client any better?
- instead use K9, Touchdown, or Maildroid
- Android 2.2 has improved Exchange support

OP

4GaugeSurprise

Reaction score
aminaked - EVERY TIME?? Really? Guess you don't have too much real world experience with various email clients and Exchange. Please don't "blanket bash" unless you can really be specific and back up your claims.

- If "no one" should use the stock mail client then maybe you could please give some detail to support that. Please be specific and cite supporting documentation.

-I will not add 3rd party apps that have ZERO enterprise track record. If the DX does not work as advertised with Exchange then I will simply return it and keep my entire organization on the current (and quite effective) platform.