A Sticky Situation

kdog5511

Reaction score
Hello, new here don't really have anywhere else to turn.

Lets get started. . . Samsung Galaxy SIII for AT&T. I purchased this phone and love it however I did drop it and I cracked the touch screen digitizer. I recently purchased another Galaxy SIII on Craigslist and I was just going to change the brain over from one phone to the other. I figured as long as I move the mother board everything should be fine. I went ahead and made the change and everything worked fine. However, I lost all my phone call and text capabilities. The phone I purchased turned out to be a verizon wireless phone. Does this still matter and does anyone have any ideas how to change it over and still have the phone work the way it should otherwise I'm out almost 250 bucks for purchasing the one off of Craigslist. I knew I should have stuck with an AT&T version of the phone, but I did not think it would matter as I would only be using it for the LCD and touch screen.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I'm not sure if Sprint will activate it or can for that matter, maybe if you agreed to a new 2 year contract if they do. I'm sure someone knows more than me on this tho..

OP
K

kdog5511

Reaction score
I just think in theory it really wouldn't have mattered that much I know they use different technologies to make connections to their cell towers. I just thought if I take the whole motherboard from my current broken AT&T phone and put it into a Verizon phone everything else would change over?? Maybe I need to change the antenna over as well just looking for ideas because frankly, I'm out of them been tinkering with this all day for the last 6 hours. . . .

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Well for that matter you could have just switched to Verizon and get the phone for $199 with a new contract instead of getting one on Craigslist..

OP
K

kdog5511

Reaction score
I'm not interested in changing carriers I just resigned my contract with AT&T less then 6 months ago and am not interested in changing over to verizon. The reason I purchased the phone on craigslist was I just needed spare parts to make my phone whole again. I've changed screens out before and done the same thing without any issues, low and behold when it comes time to fix my phone its not working. Any hardware junkies out there with some ideas?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ah ok I gotcha..misunderstood. Have you talked to anyone with AT&T?

Not sure, but maybe if you go into an AT&T store and ask for a new sim card, which should be free and then install that on the new phone it might make a difference.

OP
K

kdog5511

Reaction score
AT&T does not deal with broken phones. Their solution is to purchase a new one. I refuse to just replace when these phones can be fixed with a steady hand and good research. And thats what brought me here. I've tried everything I can so far and no matter how I trouble shoot the hardware issue at hand I end up right where I started. I do not want to pay full price for the galaxy SIII. I think it runs about $750 brand new with no contract renewal.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok I moved your thread to Galaxy III help. I am sure someone will be able to help you out that's more technically inclined than myself..

Hope you got it to work!

OP
K

kdog5511

Reaction score
BUMP? Any ideas out there?? Or is this site more for software then hardware?

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I would think it should work if you switched over all the guts from your at&t gs3 including the antennas.

No my friend.. it's a slow night as many are preparing for the hurricane. I am sure someone will help ya out.. give it a bit.. :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
BUMP? Any ideas out there?? Or is this site more for software then hardware?

It is a challenging question because the reality is you would have to ask an engineer. In theory it should work but the coding is different and that coding gives the device the permissions to access certain towers. If it does work I would not be surprised if you were unable to access lte as att will allow unlocked phones to access hspa + but not lte. And like any carrier they will protect their lte bandwidth so it may not be as easy to get that information especially from att who lost a lot of smart phone customers when they could not keep the iPhone connected to 3g. That black eye probably made getting access to att lte as tough as accessing VZW lte network.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2