A New App I discovered today

khelek

Reaction score
Looks like fun, thought I'd share

StickyBits

Found it from a guy on Buzz and one of the ideas for using it was on business cards....what are some of your thoughts?

Reaction score
Sounds pretty nifty, though I don't understand the barcode concept.. do you create the barcodes that overlay an area?

OP
khelek

khelek

Reaction score
Sounds pretty nifty, though I don't understand the barcode concept.. do you create the barcodes that overlay an area?

The cool thing is, you can "attach" something to any existing barcode. I think they sell barcode stickers that you can stick to things like resumes or business cards, or you can go to their site and freely download barcode images and print them out for your own use.

Alternatively, you can choose any product bar code and "attach" something to it.

Seems like this has a lot of potential....

OpalCat

Reaction score
So like... if I am at the store and scan a can of green beans and someone else with this app had previously scanned green beans and attached a picture of their cat to it, I'd see the picture of the cat? If so... bizarrely cool (but with some disturbing potential for abuse)

OP
khelek

khelek

Reaction score
So like... if I am at the store and scan a can of green beans and someone else with this app had previously scanned green beans and attached a picture of their cat to it, I'd see the picture of the cat? If so... bizarrely cool (but with some disturbing potential for abuse)

Yup, that's the gist...it could have some useful potential (as you mention right above, product reviews, inventory, etc), but, at the same time it could be open to abuse (say you think Pabst Blue Ribbon beer tastes like...crap, you could add an attachment to the barcode saying as much, plus whatever other "colorful" things you can think of....).

And, of course, once it catches on, teenagers will find all sort of inventive pictures to attach to bar codes....

I think one of the discussions I saw brought up the question of what sort of control do product manufacturers have over their bar codes...is it their property, do they have the right to dictate what can and cannot be "attached"? While I agree there's certainly the room for abuse, I would also be interested in fair and honest reviews of a product (I mean, really, have you *tasted* PBR?)....

EDIT: Out of curiousity, I just tried scanning OpalCat's QR code above...it works like a champ! (Don't worry, I didn't add anything, but thought it was interesting to note :) ).

Last edited:

choklitcow

Reaction score
This thing leads to endless possible ideas for your every-day anarchist.

When my minions and I are done, all of your groceries shall be covered in wangs.

<3

OP
khelek

khelek

Reaction score

When my minions and I are done, all of your groceries shall be covered in wangs.

<3

Can I give you a list of the groceries I *don't* like? If they all have wangs, it might keep my wife from bringing them home!

OpalCat

Reaction score
I forsee the need for a voting process kind of like the comments at YouTube, where things don't show up if they have a certain percentage of negative votes...

OpalCat

Reaction score

<3
To do this right you'd need to photograph the product with the wang and attach said photo. I mean how disturbing would it be to scan a can of green beans and see a photo of a guy holding the can next to his wang? :icon_ devil:

OP
khelek

khelek

Reaction score
Let the record show that it was the women who derailed this train into the deep, dark gutter ;)

(Does this remind anyone else of Fight Club?

I am curious about OpalCat's fixation on green beans though! :-D

gt7785

Reaction score
how does this exactly work?
I scanned a book barcode, attached a comment.
then I scanned it with barcode scanner, but my comment wasn't there.