A little Droid X help, please.

birdiebo

Reaction score
Went back to my trusty X a few weeks ago...after a disappointing 4g experience with the Razr. Everything is working nicely, but the device has become noticeably more sluggish. I've done a factory reset, and do not want to root the device. Is there anything else I can do to remove apps, or free up some RAM any other way? The VZW tech support people insist that a task killer is unnecessary. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions....thanks!

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Um... The techs are right... In the Droid x... With the OS it runs... All a task killer will do is show your phone down will draining battery... Because since eclair... The Android is doesn't need one

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer

Savagerun

Reaction score
What everyone is telling you is correct, don't bother with a task killer you don't need it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Einsteindks

Reaction score
Fear not with rooting. It can be undone easily. You may want to clear the Dalvik cache. Sorta like wiping Windows registry. Do some research for how to root. The info is not hard to find. The DX is a very popular ROM flashing phone. Restart will be long from a Dalvik wipe, as it has to reassociate everything. No biggie.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
B

birdiebo

Reaction score
Well, being the shy, cautious type, does anyone know of any settings or apps that will simply clean the cache and RAM? It's pretty obvious that the device becomes progressively more sluggish, and while I don't mind doing a periodic battery pull (previce device was a Storm 2), I'd hate to have to do a factory reset every few weeks in order to maintain performance. Thanks again for your suggestions.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can boot into stock recovery and clear cache. Just turn the phone off and hold the home and power button til you see a little Android. Then press both volume buttons and a menu will pop up. Highlight wipe cache and then use the power button to select it. Then reboot. First boot will take a couple minutes.

Those instructions work for GB, Froyo is a little different.

Also, since you're X is out of warranty anyway, why not root and install a custom ROM. They are way faster and most are as stable if not more stable than stock. Better battery life as well

X

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, being the shy, cautious type, does anyone know of any settings or apps that will simply clean the cache and RAM? It's pretty obvious that the device becomes progressively more sluggish, and while I don't mind doing a periodic battery pull (previce device was a Storm 2), I'd hate to have to do a factory reset every few weeks in order to maintain performance. Thanks again for your suggestions.

You don't really need something to clear the cache...
Don't get me wrong it's good to clear the cache sometimes....
But the Android system is meant to run with a high cache... So if it needs to clear some space... It will...

We have nothing to fear but running out of beer