A good task manager for ICS?

theblackabbot

Reaction score
I know that the Motorola Task Manager got axed with ICS, but it was quite helpful. And the way to manage apps now does not seem to close them for good the Motorola Task Manager. I liked being able to completely shut down an app after 2 minutes.

So, what is a good, safe task manager that will work with ICS that does what Motorola Task Manager did?

Thanks!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Try this.... long press on the home button... it'll pull up all of your running apps, to kill them just swipe left on the app... done.. easy as that.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

OP
theblackabbot

theblackabbot

Reaction score
But do you have to do this every time you use and app? For instance, I had Facebook set to shut down after 2 minutes of phone being off. With ICS, would I have to follow this process over and over again? That is why the Motorola Task Manager was good because it did this for you.

What I really need is an Auto End task manager. Can anyone help?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Try this.... long press on the home button... it'll pull up all of your running apps, to kill them just swipe left on the app... done.. easy as that.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Actually, this has been shown to not be true for all apps. Some will close, but others, especially those with background data, will continue to run even after being removed from the recent apps menu. You can see this is clearly the case by downloading a third-party task manager (I know, it's bad, but I was curious to test out what I read about the recent apps menu myself when I had the Galaxy Nexus, and then double checking with the MAXX...it was promptly uninstalled in both instances :)). Google has been very careful just to call it a recent apps menu and to not say that it has any task manager capabilities.

Also, under Settings -> Developer options, there is a setting under the APPS category called Don't keep activities. It says that selecting it will "destroy every activity as soon as the user leaves it." Also, you can limit your background processes there as well. Neither are really intended for general use, but if you really want apps to completely close after you use them, this should do it. However, you're likely to encounter some of the same issues that running a third-party task manager can bring about. It also won't prevent apps from running in the background that tend to start up on their own.

Dubuddaman

Reaction score
task manager after ics update.

I am also looking for a good alternative. There doesn't seem to be any task manager that works like Motorola's did. How affective it really was we will never know due to the slow down ginger bread made this phone. I have had to go back to the advanced task killer which really doesn't seem to work as well as the MTK may have been working. The long press on the home button really doesn't do much other then remove recent apps used in the order. It is the same for all tabs with the ICS.

I would like to see if anyone who is more technical and has the time to search for the best 3rd party Task killer that works like Motorola's did. I would like to have a list of all apps currently on phone and be able to say what app gets killed and which doesn't. I haven't seen anything like this yet. They all look or have been modeled after the "Rechild: Advanced Task Killer". It would be a good app but it only recommends the apps it feels it should and not the apps I want it to. I would have to manually check or un check apps every time which is not the way it needs to work. I need to be able to set it then forget about it. That's what was good about Motorola's Task Killer.

To use the Dev tools this may kill the necessary needed phone software and then the phone may not work right until rest. Has anyone tried this out???

I like how they left the bloat ware and take stuff people actually used away. Let's go Google. First bad thing I have to say about you.....