A Christmas "Tech Support" Story

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
images

Yesterday we celebrated one of the merriest days of the year, Christmas! For most this day is spent opening gifts, eating good food, spending time with family, and remembering the birth of Christ. For a few of us this becomes the day when we are expected to fix the gadgets of all the family! Most of you reading articles on this site can really relate to the latter.

This year we were all gathering together at my house for Pizza and a movie on Christmas eve. It was discovered that my wife's 85 year old grandmother had forgotten her pin and was locked out of her phone. No worries I can just wipe the phone with itunes I said. 3 hours later after the appropriate 3GB file was downloaded and the phone had been wiped we went to set up the device to realize that Apple had an authorization lock on the phone. No big deal, all we would have to do is enter the icloud username and password. As it would turn out our 86 year old grandmother didn't have the slightest clue as to what the icould information was and who would no one uses their icloud account on a regular basis.

We called the family members who set up the icloud account and of course they couldn't remember the information either. No worries we'll just call Apple I said. A few hours into talking with Apple we were informed that we would need to call back in 8 hours as there was currently a security lock on the account. The next day we called and they needed to verify the identity of our Grandmother. This would require answering a few security questions. Of course we got all of those wrong. They put us back on hold for another 2 hours for a manager. They hung up on us. My wife's grandmother is still locked out of her iphone!

Can anyone else relate? Share your Christmas "Tech Support" horror stories below. At least maybe we can all get a laugh out of your pain!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I don't have any similar stories from this year (or last year) but can definitely relate to your story; I have been in similar situations several times as the "family IT guy".

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I can totally relate! I don't know how many times I have insisted that my brothers & sister write down their username and passwords to their various devices and keep in safe place that they can refer to when needed. All the handholding, writing info down for them, etc always leads me right back to the same place when I need to help them set up a new device.

Me, "what's your email/username?"
Sibling, "I don't know!"
Me, "where's the info I wrote down for you the last time?"
Sibling, "I don't know!"

Now, if they want me to set up their devices for them, I make them use my email as a recovery email.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
We are experiencing unusually high call volume. Please continue to hold. Your call will be answered in the order it was received.

W19bOhcOFW7lnQwPbU3DHi7c9LlZUHnH_UiTntNTN7p3K6DaLF-KmMDJ1B-vPTLs7RIeOSg7btom8wxRReMHfhU48F9TmGvK3Tk7rCxMzCuJBwtFo7s04cbnAK7qTmzE2BlUqTk83yTxv0btcyqSeDXl64jxKk5nazoQTzUXGFaF-RDoXdL0VED2CEMEeBufsOdTFdv-BOapB1Q5qgyhiP8ulAXvJrAWgYwZ_pIHL-MEHL6W8g-PEzLTRax0DZ1U4lqxShXS_7sfrLPS0NXwLmCn8dSJFOuB4zm2OoNmBoTqyXKkaEgHxV-7hk1gs3XKySv7Nplm0BlqHU8vTdch_Tw3F-_wgcgIuSKyg9Xx3qAs08JZE24knkThcXXR-fCSejghWKOTe9ZpxzPuU8k1SzHBO-Y6cvYbHq16Pj_Smb_1BCUMfYSMKFsYENCs98ierwL5qnW8CeyD79in1XIQsdfGoOJvpKTSgA-xK_z_mWGma9_3sApyqdP2-cHI7hspgyKfsXf3B5hB3tt_FmA115D3HIcnarzAnzOIkXvjJqiTlsuL_GBT0UMYyVg0TjM4bYxj8-2CWK3fPhj6ciNoD_SNsn7sOLdP56DWXVwxuKNFPxvBgKEvYg=w356-h200-no

Thank you for your patience. Please continue to hold and your call will be answered by the next available representative.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I can totally relate! I don't know how many times I have insisted that my brothers & sister write down their username and passwords to their various devices and keep in safe place that they can refer to when needed. All the handholding, writing info down for them, etc always leads me right back to the same place when I need to help them set up a new device.

Me, "what's your email/username?"
Sibling, "I don't know!"
Me, "where's the info I wrote down for you the last time?"
Sibling, "I don't know!"

Now, if they want me to set up their devices for them, I make them use my email as a recovery email.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Smart!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk