A challenge for your community...

jordanja

Reaction score
I'll make a long story short, I've got an extra Droid Incredible sitting around that I don't mind to loose. I LOVE this phone, I've just upgraded to the DINC2. On to the challenge part, my phone is rooted and just waiting to be experimented on. I was wondering if it would be possible to take this phone and turn it into a digital camera. If i had it my way, I would start my phone and it would be just the camera. Honestly I could care less if the OS even existed in the background (it has no cell signal, but it's fun to play around on my homes wifi everynow and again with it) Here's what I'm imagining: My wife takes the phone out of her purse when my son is doing something cute, hits the unlock button (hopefully no slide to unlock, but I won't be too demanding here) and she is looking at the camera. Taking a picture with the VOL + button would be a HUGE plus. Lets start with this, is it even possible? I'm open to experimentation and trial and error, and I thought it would make an interesting challenge for all you programmers/haxors/tinkerers/nerds...

Any help or comments are appreciated.

albinoman

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I doubt its possible. The camera is dependent on the OS

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
J

jordanja

Reaction score
M'kay the whole "don't care if it even has the OS" thing was more for dramatic effect. It's going to need the OS to run it, I'm just wondering if this is doable in any form. (e.g. make the home/unlock screen the camera function, or having it boot straight to the camera function and disabling the hard-keys, etc etc) I'm just trying to spark creativity here, I'm not the engineer or the programmer I'm just the guy with the idea. If you can't do it then you can't do it, but you won't convinve me that there's not someone out there that CAN. I just want the primary function of the phone to be the camera and if possible the volume rockers to be the shutter trigger. Hell if all you could give me was the volume rocker / shutter function I would be happy.

OlafTheOx

Reaction score
It's been awhile since the last post, but I'll toss this in.

There is an app called Tasker. It will probably enable you to do this. Check out the website. Basically, it allows you to access controls and customize both apps and system functions. You need to learn how to "program" the actions you want, but it looks really powerful.

DInc with CyanogenMod 7.1