64gig sd card?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Saw where people were able to use a 64gig micro-sd card on the RAZR. Has anyone tried this on the Rezound? I assume it would work, don't know if there is a special way to format or not. I guess I could always roll the dice and return if it doesn't work.

I'm planning on getting the 32gig card, but if a 64gig will work I might wait for a sale or good price. You can never have too much storage!

SkyZ

Reaction score
Yeah.. I have a 16 gig in my phone and that's heaps of apps and music wouldn't mind me a 32 tho.

I have the rest of my files stored on computer hard drives.

I backup my sd card data regularily only dowside I can see is backing up 60 gigs of data that's gonna take a while.

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ehhh, mostly music that is stored/managed on my computer and transferred/backed-up to my phone.

Bestbuy has this for $99. I'm definitely going to get at least a 32gig, so think I will order 64gigs and trade if it fails. Apparently it works, but seems some have had issues days later. BB probably has like a 30 day return policy, so for that price I'm going to give it a go I think.

Music and pictures chews up a lot of storage. Then if you have some video saved 32gigs goes quick. I'd like to keep about 8gigs free (2hrs?) for shooting video, and maybe a few more gigs free for computer work files or who knows what. I'm not someone who wants to bother swapping SD cards, so 32gigs is a no-brainer but 64 is very interesting....

slim6596

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
I got to keep my 32gb card from my Bolt (got my Rezound via alternate device warranty exchange) and I love it. My music and some videos (movies and TV shows) are life savers when I have down time. I may have to get the 64gb if it works in this phone.

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to order the 64gig since I don't have a 32, and I'll let people know. If it doesn't work, I'll exchange it.

The fact that it formats to like 57.4 instead of closer to 64 doesn't inspire confidence. Tells me the software/format/hardware isn't fully compatible and likely to have issues with instability, and could also be something that causes problems when updating Android or a new rom.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to use a sd card higher than 32 gigs if you're rooted? I have a 16 gig right now

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

You don't have to be rooted to use any size of SD card. The only issues some people have are with the high speed Class 10 cards.

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, so far so good.....Sandisk 64gig card (59gigs formatted) Class 6 from BestBuy for $100....no issues so far!

Was a beautiful thing to see after install. Playing music just flies switching to the next song. Took me about 3 hours to copy 40gigs of music to it (via USB).

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I ordered BestBuy online...had shipped to local store for pick-up. I think it says "sold out online" now, but keep an eye out if you're looking to pick one up.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to order the 64gig since I don't have a 32, and I'll let people know. If it doesn't work, I'll exchange it.

The fact that it formats to like 57.4 instead of closer to 64 doesn't inspire confidence. Tells me the software/format/hardware isn't fully compatible and likely to have issues with instability, and could also be something that causes problems when updating Android or a new rom.

The problem is that it's a FAT32 partition, instead of ext3/ext4 which would net you better results(and work better with the O/S). The problem isn't that the O/S isn't fully fleshed out, the problem is that in order for it to mount to Windows(which most people use) it has to use FAT vs ext. You could format the card as NTFS but then Android would have issues with it. So you see trying to mesh Windows/Android(Linux) is the problem.

OP
K

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem is that it's a FAT32 partition, instead of ext3/ext4 which would net you better results(and work better with the O/S). The problem isn't that the O/S isn't fully fleshed out, the problem is that in order for it to mount to Windows(which most people use) it has to use FAT vs ext. You could format the card as NTFS but then Android would have issues with it. So you see trying to mesh Windows/Android(Linux) is the problem.

All I know is my phone formatted it with no issue - 59.4gigs available - and my computer does just fine with the SD mounted copying and renaming files.

I don't remember what use to show, but on my computer the SD shows as Removeable Disk (I: ).

Granted, it seems to struggle to find my music, I did it before but trying to figure out how to get it to point to the correct spot to search for my music. But it did create a Nandroid folder on the card just fine when I did a back-up.