6.14.84 ICS Leaked For the Droid RAZR, Wreaks Havoc on Users

Droid Kain

Reaction score
Decided to not Root or Swap ROMs on my RAZR because I was thwarted by the locked bootloader. I don't like not having a 'safety net' so to speak when you're playing with a piece of equipment worth as much money as the RAZR is. Its time like this that I'm glad I made the decision I made with my RAZR, I'll wait for the ICS Official OTA. We've waited this long, whats a little while longer. I still like to play around with my OG Droid though, having an unlocked bootloader on that = play and test as much as I want.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This is kind of making me wonder if Moto is getting a little ticked about the leaks, and possibly inserting this as a little payback. I doubt it though, some of their latest builds have been shutting down root though. Perhaps this is the next evolutionary step??? I sincerely hope not though...:blink:

Tonik

Reaction score
This is kind of making me wonder if Moto is getting a little ticked about the leaks, and possibly inserting this as a little payback. I doubt it though, some of their latest builds have been shutting down root though. Perhaps this is the next evolutionary step??? I sincerely hope not though...:blink:

The whole leak thing has always confused me. Why don't they stop it? Securing their update servers from cheesecake seems like child's play to me. But no, I don't think they did this intentionally, I just don't think they worry about leaks and people bricking their phones. I am not blaming them, it really isn't their responsibility.

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
Software Patience is truly a Virture.

Patience emphasizes calmness, self-control, and the willingness or ability to tolerate delay...with updates!

londonfire93

Reaction score
possible solution if you made a nandroid backup of a previous version such .181 restore it on top of the ics build. this might overwrite the system enough to be able to fastboot/rsd back to .173. i have not tried this but it could work so if someone is willing to try this let me know what the results are.

Fadeds

Reaction score
It's like a car. Some use it to go from Point A to Point B and keep it stock. Others will put in seat covers, a new sound system and change the wheels. Others will slap in a Glasspack muffler and make changes to the engine.

With rooting you can, like you said, freeze or remove bloatware. You can change the clock speed. There are many apps (like Titanium Backup and battery calibration) that will only work with a rooted phone. You can also install ROMs to really customize your phone.

That being said, I've never rooted my Bionic, nor do I plan to. I bought Motorola because it had the Bionic, not the Bionic because it was made by Motorola. But what happened here has nothing to do with rooting. What they did was install an unofficial update instead of waiting for the OTA update. I've done that myself on both my OG Droid (the change from Eclair to Froyo) and Bionic with no problems. Again, no rooting is required; you simply put the file in the SD card and boot into recovery. The phone will install that file as if it got it OTA. The problem in this case is trying to go back. You can't go back by just uninstalling the update. This time there's no going back.

The Bionic should be getting the 5.9.904 update OTA in a few days. You can install it now by grabbing the file and installing it manually, like I mentioned before. Or you can wait. I plan to wait for this one.

Great explanation! Made think of the time when I was just out of high school my dad gave me his 1985 f150. The first thing I did was go to pep boys and bought a cherry bomb glass pack. Went to a buddies house with a sawzall and cut the brand new $500 exhaust off. We'll needless to say when he heard that truck and saw the exhaust in the bed of the truck he lost his mind!
I guess we sometimes do things without thinking about a little. When it comes to a device like these smartphones that we pay good money for you really have to make sure you know what you doing.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction score
The whole leak thing has always confused me. Why don't they stop it? Securing their update servers from cheesecake seems like child's play to me. But no, I don't think they did this intentionally, I just don't think they worry about leaks and people bricking their phones. I am not blaming them, it really isn't their responsibility.

I agree that Motorola has bigger things to worry about then leaks getting out and I'm sure the problems with these last two leaks are not deliberate attempts by Motorola to mess up their customers. However I would not be surprised if Motorola is deliberately building future updates so that the user cannot go backwards. Imagine if every future OTA was not fast bootable and there was no way back to recover the system , with the locked boot loaders it would be the end of rooting .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

nimblejester

Reaction score
lol, I'm still trying to fig. out the wreaks havoc on users. I heard when it came out but it didn;t effect this user.

arparaspolo

Reaction score
I think the havoc comes when you try to flash back to stock. Also I heard that this leak knocks you off all future OTA updates. I could be wrong though.