5th defective "certified" Droid X...Loosing faith in Moto

socalocalsd

Reaction score
Just received my 5th replacement droidx in the mail today the first three had dead pixels and the last one had a bright blotchy spot in the center of the screen. After setting everything up on my "new" phone i noticed yet another dead pixel on the screen. I hate being the guy to complain and bring my phone in due to a dead pixel but it is an expensive phone and the screen shouldn't come with dead pixels or other defects. I feel like this is getting a little ridiculous as this is my 5th replacement with a bad screen. As far as I know vzw won't replace my phone with anything else but a droid x so looks like im stuck with it for now. Is anyone else having similar issues with this phone or am i just crazy?? And if so has anyone been able to replace it with a different phone? Im getting so sick of Motorola.

ABQNM

Reaction score
I would not blame Moto for the defective "Certified Like New" replacements you are getting. They are not refurbished by Motorola, but instead a company called New Breed Corporation. They send out poor and damaged refurbished phones all the time. I went through 6 BlackBerry Tours a few years ago in 10 days. Their quality control is horrendous and I wish Verizon would crack down on them more.

OP
S

socalocalsd

Reaction score
wow thanks for the info that is good to know. I actually just got off the phone with tech support and they are replacing this one with a new droid x2 so im really stoked now. If anyone else if having this issue i recommend just calling them and being as polite as possible and they will try to do what they can to help you.

ABQNM

Reaction score
I have heard of a few other people being replaced with an X2. Verizon officially does not do a "multi-FRU" (if you had more than 3 replacement devices you would be able to exchange for comparable phone not to exceed your phones retail price) exchange for over a year, but in special circumstances they are sometimes willing to do it. That is how I wound up with my Droid 1 back in 2009, after the 6 BB Tours in 10 days.

kevinkar

Reaction score
Yes, ask for and keep asking for a different phone until you get it. Sounds like you and the X just don't get along. Try another model if you can.

OP
S

socalocalsd

Reaction score
Yes, ask for and keep asking for a different phone until you get it. Sounds like you and the X just don't get along. Try another model if you can.
Yeah the vzw tech was saying they don't have many problems with this phone but i just couldn't get one that wasn't messed up. Oh well they did end up replacing it with a X2 and with all the recent developments such as sbf release, bootloader, and hopefully interest from liberty and other developers this will be one amazing phone.

Xtremelyfrustrated

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my 3rd CLNR phone. I received one yesterday and it did not recongize the SD card. The one before that, came out the fed ex box shutting itself off and by the 2nd day, would not come back on at all. This is some BS, how are they saying these phones are certified like new, when they're coming out the box, with problems. I just purchased my phone in May. I'M furious! Oh, they just offered me any new phone I want for $199.00. WTH!!!!!!!!!! I just purchased a new phone.

Just received my 5th replacement droidx in the mail today the first three had dead pixels and the last one had a bright blotchy spot in the center of the screen. After setting everything up on my "new" phone i noticed yet another dead pixel on the screen. I hate being the guy to complain and bring my phone in due to a dead pixel but it is an expensive phone and the screen shouldn't come with dead pixels or other defects. I feel like this is getting a little ridiculous as this is my 5th replacement with a bad screen. As far as I know vzw won't replace my phone with anything else but a droid x so looks like im stuck with it for now. Is anyone else having similar issues with this phone or am i just crazy?? And if so has anyone been able to replace it with a different phone? Im getting so sick of Motorola.

barski

Reaction score

Yes 5 is the max certified replacements your supposed to be able to get. So just tell them you want a different phone. But it must be 3G and android, its definalty worth a shot to try getting a 4G phone.

OP
S

socalocalsd

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my 3rd CLNR phone. I received one yesterday and it did not recongize the SD card. The one before that, came out the fed ex box shutting itself off and by the 2nd day, would not come back on at all. This is some BS, how are they saying these phones are certified like new, when they're coming out the box, with problems. I just purchased my phone in May. I'M furious! Oh, they just offered me any new phone I want for $199.00. WTH!!!!!!!!!! I just purchased a new phone.

Hang in there! i got the same bs answer when my 5th phone was on its way. They told me i could use an update or buy a refurbished phone and i told them that that wasn't expectable because the problem was they keep sending me bad phones but the lady didn't budge.I just got a DX2 after my 5th phone had dead pixels and although i would have preferred a 4g phone it is still a nice upgrade considering it was free and they sent me an extended battery for it (not sure why but i am stoked).

Anyways when you call just be super nice and work with them not against them. They listen to people ***** and complain all day so when they answer ask how they are doing and refer to them by name it make a huge difference and it will make them want to help you out.

Good Luck and keep trying

Last edited:

barski

Reaction score

Hang in there! i got the same bs answer when my 5th phone was on its way. They told me i could use an update or buy a refurbished phone and i told them that that wasn't expectable because the problem was they keep sending me bad phones but the lady didn't budge.I just got a DX2 after my 5th phone had dead pixels and although i would have preferred a 4g phone it is still a nice upgrade considering it was free and they sent me an extended battery for it (not sure why but i am stoked).

Anyways when you call just be super nice and work with them not against them. They listen to people ***** and complain all day so when they answer ask how they are doing and refer to them by name it make a huge difference and it will make them want to help you out.

I agree, it does seem to work better if you talk nice. Even though it may be very hard to do after you unbox your CLNR phone and it doesn't turn on. :icon_eek:

And i found if you talk in such technical way about the device, they will usually transfer you to an upper level technician, where you are most likely to have your problems resolved.

Xtremelyfrustrated

Reaction score
Thanks for you support and suggestions.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Ah this brings me back to last year with my 4 or so CPO Droid X's.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that yes, their refurbishing center is lousy.