4G LTE phones with Keyboard

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I used to be a physical keyboard evangelist, but I've grown to love the Thunderbolt. The big screen makes it easy to type, and I like the fact that I don't have to worry about the keyboard sliding out in my pocket (used to happen on the Droid all the time).

akhi216

Reaction score
How much thicker does the lte radio really make the phone? We talking .1 of an inch here or what?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

It's not so much making it thicker as it is making it a brick. When you factor in the extra weight from the slide-out keyboard, you're looking at a cinder block.

Edit: Also in carrier's eyes thinner=sexier=more $.

akhi216

Reaction score
I used to be a physical keyboard evangelist, but I've grown to love the Thunderbolt. The big screen makes it easy to type, and I like the fact that I don't have to worry about the keyboard sliding out in my pocket (used to happen on the Droid all the time).

I agree that it's quite easy to use a virtual keyboard on a 4.3 inch screen in landscape mode, but portrait mode is a different story, hence one of the reasons that some people need a phone with a physical keyboard. In portrait mode using a virtual keyboard, the onscreen keyboard takes up like 90% of the screen on a webpage leaving you no room to see auto-corrections and other things. You can move to another field and not know where you're at...this=headache to some.

kurumatt

Reaction score

I've had my OG droid for almost 2 years now and never have an issue with the kbd sliding open on its own.

How much thicker does the lte radio really make the phone? We talking .1 of an inch here or what?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

It's not so much making it thicker as it is making it a brick. When you factor in the extra weight from the slide-out keyboard, you're looking at a cinder block.

Edit: Also in carrier's eyes thinner=sexier=more $.

Meh, I'd rather have what I want if its slightly thicker and heavier than have to settle for something.

Is it too much to ask, 1gb of ram duo core 1.2ghz sliding keyboard, lte and unlocked bootloader?

I think not. dancedroid

Vito.a

Reaction score
I've not had a good exprerience with any of the virtual keyboards. I tried the IPhone, Thunderbolt, and even my 4.3" GPS and they all suck. They just randomly mistype the letters.

On the other hand, I've seen many of the slide out keyboards after 1 year of use and they are sloppy and worn out.

Maybe the the way to go is to buy the D3 and if not happy, trade it back in on the Bionic before the 30 day return is up.

Java

Reaction score
I've not had a good exprerience with any of the virtual keyboards. I tried the IPhone, Thunderbolt, and even my 4.3" GPS and they all suck. They just randomly mistype the letters.

On the other hand, I've seen many of the slide out keyboards after 1 year of use and they are sloppy and worn out.

Maybe the the way to go is to buy the D3 and if not happy, trade it back in on the Bionic before the 30 day return is up.

It's a 14 day return policy now, not 30 day. Best Buy/Costco still have 30 days I believe, but if you trade phones in you do not get the subsidized price after 14 days as far as I am aware.

Also, the virtual keyboard doesn't type incorrectly if you type correctly, though it certainly can vary between phones. The iPhone and TB both have great keyboards as far as I have heard. My little 3'' touchscreen works perfect, never has a mistype and it is clearly beaten up badly, especially as a capacitive screen. It's more of how accustomed you are to the keyboard. I've had it so long it's really easy, but using other phone's virtual keyboards it takes me forever to type. It's definitely about how much time you use it. I can type faster than anyone i know on my touchscreen just because I'm used to it, but I'll be sluggish once I trade up again for a couple months.

Vito.a

Reaction score

It's a 14 day return policy now, not 30 day. Best Buy/Costco still have 30 days I believe, but if you trade phones in you do not get the subsidized price after 14 days as far as I am aware.

Also, the virtual keyboard doesn't type incorrectly if you type correctly, though it certainly can vary between phones. The iPhone and TB both have great keyboards as far as I have heard. My little 3'' touchscreen works perfect, never has a mistype and it is clearly beaten up badly, especially as a capacitive screen. It's more of how accustomed you are to the keyboard. I've had it so long it's really easy, but using other phone's virtual keyboards it takes me forever to type. It's definitely about how much time you use it. I can type faster than anyone i know on my touchscreen just because I'm used to it, but I'll be sluggish once I trade up again for a couple months.

Maybe you're right. I just need to give the virtual keyboard more time to get used to it. I guess I can wait another month for the Bionic.

Java

Reaction score

Maybe you're right. I just need to give the virtual keyboard more time to get used to it. I guess I can wait another month for the Bionic.

I would suggest it, as I am doing it myself. Physical keyboards seem nice, but all the best phones seem to come without them, as they are a hassle to deal with when designing a phone, making them bulkier without adding much of anything to the device but the keyboard itself.

Using the same device heavily for a month, especially with touchscreens, is when you're going to really find out how slick touchscreens are these days. At first you'll make dumb mistakes since you're used to the freedom of a physical keyboard, but you get accustomed pretty quick once you've broken bad habits (like sliding fingers on the screen, touching it on accident, etc).

phant0omx

Reaction score

The rep at the wireless advocates stall in Costco told me the return policy is 14 days when I picked up my charge.

Java

Reaction score
Then Costco cut the 30 day policy as well? Best Buy still has it though, I believe. I'm assuming you still only get the 14 day window though.

Skurvy_Pirate

Reaction score
I wanted so badly for the Droid 3 to have LTE! I don't want to get stuck with 3G for 2 more years. I am thinking of just buying it off contract, then selling it and upgrading when a good 4G phone comes out with a physical keyboard. That is the ONLY thing Droid 3 is missing and it is a dealbreaker.

akhi216

Reaction score
I wanted so badly for the Droid 3 to have LTE! I don't want to get stuck with 3G for 2 more years. I am thinking of just buying it off contract, then selling it and upgrading when a good 4G phone comes out with a physical keyboard. That is the ONLY thing Droid 3 is missing and it is a dealbreaker.

I feel your pain.

lhn5

Reaction score
Bionic

Bionic bionic everyone loves bionic. Why is it better than the other 3 4G phones Verizon has out now?

Java

Reaction score
Bionic bionic everyone loves bionic. Why is it better than the other 3 4G phones Verizon has out now?

Because of how many problems all the other phones have right now. Since the Bionic isn't released yet, its problems aren't known, so we can't dislike it yet.

Although I'm only half kidding, it is promising to be a pretty shnazy phone.

Rumored specs (from what I've heard)
4.3-4.5 inch Gorilla Glass qHD PenTile display
8 MP RF Dual LED Flash Camera, 2 MP FFC
1.024 GB DDR2 RAM (Allocated 512 MB Phone and 512 MB for webtop)
TI OMAP 4400 1.5 Dual Core (dayum!)
2.3.4 Preinstalled (Gingerbread)
16 GB internal memory (up to 48 with 32 gig card not included)
1080p Video
1750 mAh battery (should be very sufficient given the power saving display and processors)

That's something to be excited about, at least for me :icon_ banana:

But if you want to be a poor sport, go do it elsewhere

*All specifications subject to change, go cry to Big Red if you don't like it

TinMan09

Reaction score
Personally i hate most virtual keyboards and will never get another. I switch from my LG Voyager to a blackberry storm 2, to some htc thing, to the droid x i think it was and i went back with my D2G and i LOVE it. The big plus for me was the fact that 8k feet in an afghanistan winter it sucks to have to take off your gloves to type something. The screens wont react well in the temps we were seeing and definitely wouldnt read your fingers through gloves. my .02. but i guess some folks believe we shouldnt be taking phones to afghanistan anyways.