3g vs 4g

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Since having switched from verizon to AT&T, I have been forced to learn more than I wanted to about signals and such.

But one subject keeps popping back into my mind.

If you don't already know, (everyone should since I have mentioned it so much) I get better reception running off 3g verses 4g.

Stats on bottom are on 4g, stats on top are on 3g.
469a43c94e473bc5dc3c37af55915c69.jpg

My question is, is it necessary to keep creating more fragile signal receptions?

Now granted I live in the country, which means there is much more obstructions a cell phone signal has to clear verses the city.

In the city you have two benefits:

1: Reliable signal as long as there is a clear path to tower.

2: Wifi

4g was definitely not made with the country folk in mind.

Besides that, living in the city signal coverage isn't a priority since wifi is so readily available.

Remember when we only had 3g? Getting service inside a building wasn't so hard as it is now.

Why?

Think of a 3g signal as a big, muscular ox. He may not be fast, but he is steady and gets the job done. He can even pass through brick walls.

4g on the other hand, is like the avengers. They have all kinds of cool tricks and super powers, but if they lose those they are normal. Not even on a ox level anymore.

4g may be fast and can carry more data, but that also leaves room for a fragile frequency that is prone to losing more data if the signal path is not clear.

Fragile is a very good word to describe 4g. It is wonderful when it is in the right situation, but useless if it isn't.

I suppose the demand for bigger, better and faster belittles the use of 3g.

But for those of us in a galaxy far, far away, it is a lifesaver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Is there a question? 4G has a higher frequency than 3G which means a lower signal penetration. It's about the same as this Digital TV crap. FM can broadcast in many directions where as digital can only be directed at a certain point. If you had working service with Verizon, why aren't you going back to them since ATT can't provide you the service you need?

Breaking down 4G vs. 3G cellular networks – The Denver Post

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Is there a question? 4G has a higher frequency than 3G which means a lower signal penetration. It's about the same as this Digital TV crap. FM can broadcast in many directions where as digital can only be directed at a certain point. If you had working service with Verizon, why aren't you going back to them since ATT can't provide you the service you need?

Breaking down 4G vs. 3G cellular networks – The Denver Post
Because I am still paying off my old bill. Only have $250 to go.

Question? No more like what I have learned so far.

I will check out your link.

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
And I am ok working off 3g now. I get unlimited data and my phone bill is way less.

Plus, AT&T has gone above and beyond to try and help us out. I know verizon would never do that.

So, as I told the nice lady in corporate, I would much rather have less performance than high bills and ugly customer service.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Not sure if you're aware of this, but you've got 3-4 similar threads on this topic that you could have posted this in, as opposed to creating a new one. Please keep that in mind before starting a new thread.

S5 tap'n

OP
BamaBelle

BamaBelle

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S7
Not sure if you're aware of this, but you've got 3-4 similar threads on this topic that you could have posted this in, as opposed to creating a new one. Please keep that in mind before starting a new thread.

S5 tap'n
I am aware, which is why I am refraining from posting anymore.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I am aware, which is why I am refraining from posting anymore.

No need to go to that extreme. Simply utilize the threads you've already started when it comes to similar topics. By creating multiple threads that discuss the same topic, it can clutter up the forum and make it difficult for members who may be using the search function to search for similar topics. If you can't recall if you've created a thread or if you don't know if a topic has already been posted on something you'd like to discuss, simply use the search feature to check first. OR, If you feel a thread doesn't cover what you're wanting to discuss, than by all means feel free to start a new thread. Easy peasy. :)

S5 tap'n