3G Talk and surf

tituswife

I was told today that in 3G area, which we probably will be for a long time, that I shouldn't be able to talk and surf at the same time. I bought my Tbolt last July, and have always been able to do so. Anyone else?

Sent from my stock Thunderbolt

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
You can with wifi enabled.. ive never been able to do so on 3g. I dont know though maybe its a phone specific thing? Id be curios to know more about this also.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

syndicate0017

Silver Member
I believe the Tbolt, rezound, and charge can do both over 3G. All other phones must be on 4G or connected to wifi.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Cool. Thanks. I will look deeper into this.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Cool. Thanks. I will look deeper into this.

I'm actually incorrect about the Charge, but I believe the Tbolt and rezound can do it because they have seperate radios.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
HTC uses a chipset that includes SVDO, simultaneous voice/data. It's a clunky workaround, but it works - and on 3G only. So the Bolt and Rezound are the only Verizon phones that can do it. I believe it is also what allows those two phones to switch off of eHRPD and go EVDO Rev. A only - again, the only two 4G phones that can do that.

What is a radio?

Sent from my stock Thunderbolt

Typically, when you hear the word radio in relation to a cell phone, it is referring to cellular phone and other wireless communications. The radios on the phone have different wireless communication functions. The TB has 6 radios, I believe. GPS, Bluetooth, wifi, 4G, and the 2 other phone-radio bands.

Others, you may correct me if I got it wrong.

I love the fact that I can make a call and have tethering to my laptop on actively at the same time, even in 3G areas like where I live.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

RevosFTS

Typically, when you hear the word radio in relation to a cell phone, it is referring to cellular phone and other wireless communications. The radios on the phone have different wireless communication functions. The TB has 6 radios, I believe. GPS, Bluetooth, wifi, 4G, and the 2 other phone-radio bands.

Others, you may correct me if I got it wrong.

I love the fact that I can make a call and have tethering to my laptop on actively at the same time, even in 3G areas like where I live.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

As far as I know the mecha (tbolt) has two radios. One for cdma and one for lte

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using DroidForums

OP
tituswife

tituswife

Yes, I am so glad with 3G I can talk and surf

Thanks for all the technical info. I enjoy learning!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums