Talk and surf at the same time?

acejavelin

Reaction score
So, I was quite surprised to figure out that on the Rezound we can surf and talk at the same time, like AT&T users? Even on 3G, which I thought was impossible on Verizon's network.

Was in the grocery store last night, service inside the store is crappy but they have free WiFi... I am on the phone and, thinking I was on WiFi, opened a web page to look something up, but then I realized WiFi wasn't even on, and I wasn't connected with 4G, but I was connected with 3G, and the page loaded fine and at 3G speeds.

I thought this could only be done with WiFi or 4G (I know the Rezound has separate radio for LTE and CDMA/Voice), but not with 3G, or am I just nuts? Is this new or have we always been able to do this, I was pretty sure I tried it once by accident and it didn't work several months ago but it did last night. I tested it again this morning at home, toggling off WiFi and forcing the phone in to CDMA Only mode and indeed I was able to surf and talk at the same time on 3G.

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I think the Rezound has always been able to do this. It's nice owning a year old phone that is still better then 98% of the phones on VZ. And it holds it own very well against the other 2%.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

HowardZ

Reaction score
I read long ago that surf & talk at the same time could not be done on iPhone. This limitation was written about in internet news articles. This was the reason my wife purchased a droid-x, while waiting for the iPhone 5. Eventually she got tired of waiting and purchased the iPhone 4s when it was released.

I don't think I ever tried testing surfing the net while talking.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The Rezound has hardware support for SVDO - Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G. Since it requires additional hardware in order to work, so far only a few phones on Verizon support SVDO (I know the Rezound, Thunderbolt, and the Galaxy S3 are among them, and might be the only ones). The upcoming RAZR HD and RAZR mini should support it as well since they'll have the Snapdragon S4 processor (and it has the required hardware).

Verizon doesn't advertise this because it's not an officially supported feature. They can't guarantee that it will work all the time, so they don't even bother telling people about it. That's probably for the best since it could potentially make many people upset when it doesn't work correctly.

JRParsons

Reaction score
@sweetness, this is the second time in two days you've jumped in as I was answering. I was going to point out the Thunderbolt and S3 also could do it. (you got me yesterday on deleting widgets)

I have to learn to type faster.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
@sweetness, this is the second time in two days you've jumped in as I was answering. I was going to point out the Thunderbolt and S3 also could do it. (you got me yesterday on deleting widgets)

I have to learn to type faster.

Ha, ha. The same thing happens to me all the time. I often take too long double-checking the information I'm about to post (to make sure it's accurate), and in that time, someone beats me to the punch. :)

JRParsons

Reaction score
I was calling my home phone with my wireless phone while looking up espn.com, while you were answering. I was verifying the S3 could do it. LOL.

nikecar

Reaction score
I was pleasently surprised when I first found out I could do this shortly after getting the phone. I know I've used it both ways (wifi and nonwifi). No, as long as I don't forget my anniversary
[video=youtube;AIsdkOvySkk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIsdkOvySkk"][/video]