3G hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

CellZealot

Reaction score
You don't seem to understand that all of these are exactly the same and all are a clear violation of the TOS. They want to charge you anytime you connect an external device for data use. Anything you do to avoid those charges is a breach of the TOS.

There is no difference whatsoever. Either you pay someone to help you steal from VZW or you do it yourself...choice is yours.

;)

sjsharks84

Reaction score
You don't seem to understand that all of these are exactly the same and all are a clear violation of the TOS. They want to charge you anytime you connect an external device for data use. Anything you do to avoid those charges is a breach of the TOS.

There is no difference whatsoever. Either you pay someone to help you steal from VZW or you do it yourself...choice is yours.

;)

Actually I do, which is why I said "clear" breach. The solution proposed funnels data through tether. The apps like barnacle and wifi tether go through the mobile data. So my point is that it is less conspicuous...that's all. There should be no need to mess with data authentication...why re-invent the wheel when there are established tethering apps? All we're asking for is for those apps to utilize AP mode.

CellZealot

Reaction score
Our solution enables all forms of tethering to use the same NAI authentication string.

It just happens to enable free use of the 3g Hotspot app as well.

It is actually no more conspicuous at all because the network cannot distinguish between any type of data use by your phone.

But I've said my piece...more options is always a good thing...ours is just a more complete and thorough solution. :D

CellZealot

Reaction score
Well, it's not my app but I have been using various versions since it was released almost a year ago and the latest version does NOT use infrastructure mode that I can tell.

The only one that does is 3G WiFi Hotspot.

The author of WiFi Tether for Root Users is a very bright guy and I'm sure he will figure it out and incorporate it into a version soon.

Does that answer your question?

Our solution does this by completely different means and is not related to the mode of broadcasting the WiFi signal at all.

ok? :D

sjsharks84

Reaction score
Our solution enables all forms of tethering to use the same NAI authentication string.

It just happens to enable free use of the 3g Hotspot app as well.

It is actually no more conspicuous at all because the network cannot distinguish between any type of data use by your phone.

But I've said my piece...more options is always a good thing...ours is just a more complete and thorough solution. :D

Thanks for your clarification! I'm in favor of more options, great to see active development efforts here.

Viet_Vet

Reaction score
You can root your phone (voiding your warranty). Once rooted you can tether for free.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Can you please explain how, as though you are talking to a 6th grader? I am not tech savy when it comes to Smartphones. Thanks.
:welcome: to the forum. The instructions are in link 3 in my signature. If you still cannot figure out how to root there is another option. We'll discuss it after you've read the link. :)

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the instructions in link 3 in your sig. I downloaded rageagainsthecage.zip, and installed the 2 apps - terminal emulator and astro. I am at "What are we going to do?"

That is as far as I have gotten. I don't want to brick my phone, so I'm being cautious now. I do not know how to do steps 1-5 ; copy, paste, temp, change permisions, etc.

Can you give me more specific instructions please? I need one of the "for dummies" books :)

Thanks,

Vet

want a droid

Reaction score
I just did the TBH way and it's awesome. My roommate, suite mate, and I are all connected to my droid right now. I almost backed out after reading some of these posts and almost tried a different way, but when CZ said that any way you do it is breach of TOS and that none of the ways are more conspicious than others, that made me more comfortable. Are there certain things I should avoid doing while using the hotspot?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We can not discuss the 3g mobile hot spot hack so closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.