2 separate contact lists for google contacts?

Laramie

Reaction score
Tried searching, lots of answers.

I have all my contacts through gmail.

I'd like to be able to view 2 separate lists, one that is all my email contacts, and one that is all my phone contacts.

So far, I have about 350 total contacts, about 80 of which are my "personal" phone contacts.

Thoughts?

theguy386

Reaction score
what you can do is setup your contacts on a PC using google groups

go to your phones contacts and hit the menu key, got to display options and when you select your account it'll ask you what contact groups you would like to display

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also on the phone in the Contacts menu you can select to display "only those with phones." That will show only phone number in the contacts but keep the other contacts functional (i.e. so they can be auto-filled in emails ect.). Selecting only certain 'groups' like above will not sync all the contacts so many of them won't be there for emails.

barryp3403

Reaction score
This is not as useful as the contact organization in my old PIM

I didn't know about the display options so I appreciate your posts above. Having used a regular phone and a Palm PIM (personal info manager) for years I really liked the way contacts were set up in the Palm. Of course the advantages of the Droid in so many other ways are better than the ancient PalmOS. I would not switch to a PalmOS phone but I do miss the ability to see my different contact groups from a drop down menu on the main screen rather than have to go through three or four steps to bring up each group individually.

If you haven't used a Palm PIM then you may not know what I mean but I would have one category for friends, another for family, another for frequent company contacts, another for various sorts of suppliers, etc. I miss being able to break up my contacts into these much more manageable sized lists and bring up each list or all contacts with a single drop down menu on the main contact screen. Maybe in Android 2.2 we may get a contact list that is this useful. :greendroid:

Silver Member
Reaction score
there is a way to do it, although it's a little cumbersome. setup your contact groups like described above. then, hit menu - display options and then click on the account that is associated with your contacts. when you do that, you'll get a list of all of your groups. you can select which ones you want to display from there.

it's not a very quick and/or efficient method, but it can be done.

i'd get more in the habit of learning how to search contacts using matching (first name, etc.).

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
while in your contact menu you can press the little "search" magnigy glass icon it will allow you to search for that person you are looking for. I just found that out the other day when thinking damn **** sucks having to scroll for every name.

-=Jason=-

justbob

Reaction score
I found the voice search works very good for doing this. Hit the little microphone on the Google search widget and say "Call <whomever>." It gets you right there. If the contact has multiple phone numbers, it eill let you select the one you want, or you can say "Call <whomever> at home" or "Call <whomever> at mobile."