2.2 Froyo Droid X WiFi issues unresolved?

Edward650

Reaction score
i updated to 2.2 on my DX and haven't had any WiFi problems, maybe its the router but i wouldn't know. i am using a Cisco valet router and 2.2 on droid x

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
On 2.1 I had to switch my Router to G only, forcing N caused issues with my X. When I set it to G only, it was rock solid pulling great speeds and staying connected. I havent switched my router back to N but my phone connects just fine to my home wifi (G only) and it has so far worked on every network Ive tried (Starbucks - N, Paneras - G, Work B,G,N)

Have you guys tried rebooting your routers?

kevinkar

Reaction score
Have you guys tried rebooting your routers?
Oh yeah. Several times. I went through several tweaks and the only one that made any difference was setting it to G-Only.

Because all the settings on the router were the same and the only change was the OS on the Droid X, there must be a setting on the Droid that I don't see that caused the failure or, perhaps there was a change in the kernel that's hidden from the GUI.

I'm too cheap to suck up a bricked phone so I have not and probably won't root it or dive too deep into it (it's really just a Linux-like OS and I'm pretty good on UNIX... but I don't want to chance making a costly mistake) so there could have been a change in the guts that's just not obvious. Without pouring through a detailed change log, I'll probably never know what changed.

404-not found

Reaction score
Mine's working ok, this might not fix all these issues but might be useful for some:
Settings, wireless, wifi settings, click menu button -> advanced, wifi sleep policy -> never

ocpd44

Reaction score
Wi Fi? What Wi Fi?

I did the same. I went in and reconfigured my d-link router to g only. That seems to have solved the problem at the house.dancedroid To be honest, I haven't had occasion to try it at a public wi fi yet so will have to wait until later this week. I spent over an hour on the phone with Motorola tech support (somewhere in Bangladesh) and was reading this thread at the same time. I tried the "g only" thing and it worked so I hung up while they were sending me to the "next level" of support. Not sure if level 2 uses personnel whose first language is English.

Regards and Good Luck to All,

Jeff

Edward650

Reaction score
i haven't had trouble with public WiFi. i have used my schools WiFi and Google WiFi that is provided to my city. i think it might be the router, hopefully this gets fixed for all those people having trouble

5o5

Reaction score
The issue is that we shouldn't have to change the router settings to G only. I have the capabilities to do that at home but what if I'm not at home. I can't do this at work nor if I am at someone elses home. There needs to be a fix so that it can accept signals from a router that sends a mixed signal. I am exchanging my phone tomorrow but I suspect that this is not a hardware issue.
I downloaded the app wifi analyzer so I can see the signal strength at work and Its pretty strong. However, my phone detects it, scans, obtains an ip address, then drops it. Then it cycles through that procedure again and again. Occasionally it'll hold the signal for a few minutes. Should I ask my IT admin to switch the router to send G signal only? BTW, i have my settings to never sleep on the wifi. Still no luck.

ocpd44

Reaction score
Agree completely. Motorola, Google and Veizon need to figure out what the problem is. It apparently isn't the OS as other phones running 2.2 don't seem to have this problem. That leaves the hardware interface and Verizon. I'll let Verizon off the hook for the problem but they need to kick their vendors in the ass to get a fix out pronto. For now, at least I have wi fi at home where I need it most.

Regards,

Jeff

DocDog

Reaction score
Seems remarkable that some folks are having problems with their home wifi while others (like me) are only having trouble with public. I have two different access points in my home and both work fine and the phone switches from one to the other if I go from one to the other side of the house. (Didn't even have to force "g-only") However, I take it to work and try to get onto the public wifi there, and "Whoa, Nelly" it is wifi on then wifi off then wifi on then wifi off. I think they tried to get "fancy" and created a problem with the changes they made in the wifi connectivity. Here's to hoping they get their act together, and issue an update SOON!

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Another problem could be because your running non N devices on a single band router. Some newer routers have dual band N/G/B that allows you to run multiple devices on different bands. Thats why I switched to G only, I have a WiFi printer that is G, an old Laptop that is G, My new Laptop that is N, and my X that is N. Pushing everything onto the same band instead of limiting it is more efficient. When you run any device on a single band WiFi router, it defaults to lowest band automatically, even though it will show "N" on your phone, its running at G speeds. Thats probably causing the issue on most devices.

Now if its dual band, N devices actually run on N.

inthefad3

Reaction score
Although I updated the OS last week, only this morning did this WiFi issue appear for me. Sometimes it says it is connected and if I don't try to use it, it will stay on for a while. However as soon as an application tries to use the internet connection the WiFi drops. Checking on the WiFi Settings screen I often find the connection cycling between connected and obtaining IP.

5o5

Reaction score
So today my coworker comes to me to show off her new D2. We compared apps chatted about battery life, etc...and compared wifi settings. Just to make sure it wasn't my settings...I made sure we had identical wifi settings. She got a nice consistent signal with no drops and non issues picking up th signal, while mine..searched and scanned the whole time. :icon_evil: I mean what other proof do I need to assume it is a hardware issue.

The vz rep said that's just how the wifi works..it doesn't accept anything but a g signal and switching it will give me the same issues. The motorola rep talked me into a factory reset...and i lost all my free apps. Needless to say I'm frustrated..

DocDog

Reaction score
@5o5. That is a fantastic anecdote. Maybe it is a random hardware issue, but then you would have to say that the hardware has some defect that is only exposed when using froyo? That seems implausible. It is some slightly complicated interaction that is causing a conflict -- but what the heck it is, I have no clue.

5o5

Reaction score
That still doesn't explain why dx users who went to 2.2 started having issues. A buddy of mine said his gf had to return her d1 seven times before it was right. Shrugs...