2.2 Froyo Droid X WiFi issues unresolved?

rohan611

Reaction score
So I updated to the official 2.2 version of Froyo yesterday and I'm still seeing the wifi connectivity issues that I saw in 2.1. My phone will connect to a network but not show any stream of data to or from the phone.

Does anyone have a solution to this or know if Verizon can or will fix this? I know about the solutions to change the router settings, but I would like to be able to connect to routers without having to mess with the settings.

Any help or direction to other threads where this is solved would be much appreciated, thanks!

chic2112

Reaction score
I have the Motorola droid and had no problems with wifi for past year. Unfortunately I installed the 2.2 update and now my phone connects to wifi but immediately disconnects. If I unsecure my wireless it works great with no problem but I can not leave it unsecured as it is my business wifi, please help.

EbbieDeb

Reaction score
Wifi Worked. Now Doesn't with 2.2 upgrade on Droid X

Ever since my Droid X updated to 2.2, I cannot get my Wifi to connect to my router. It worked just fine before the update. But now all it says is... Obtaining IP Address, over and over, but just won't connect.

I have ATT Uverse, and the modem and router isn't actually connected to any computer, its in the Box that the TV Receiver is also located in. (If that makes any difference)

It was working just fine until the 2.2 upgrade, and now it won't connect to my Wifi at all. I've turned the phone on/off. Turned the modem on/off, and to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions?

ejcrossl

Reaction score
I am showing that I am connected w/ my wireless at home, which is secure, but I am not able to transmit any data. I am also on 2.2, and only had 2.1 for 1 day so i am not sure if I got connected to wifi or not on 2.1.

bobthebob

Reaction score
this is totally unacceptable - I have *no* consistent wi-fi connection.
and I can't even choose to reinstall 2.1 until Motorola addresses this issue - WHENEVER THAT WILL BE.

WTF?!?!?!

oalvarez

Reaction score
Just received the Droid X. I couldn't connect to my router, and saw some postings where folks got it to work after upgrading to Froyo. I was going to upgrade anyway, and a non-working wifi is IMO a forcing function. Did the upgrade and no luck. Same issue, hanging on "obtaining address". Completely unacceptable. This phone will be going back.

07aspenx

Reaction score
The only problem I had with 2.1 was connecting through N mode. It would always drop the wifi connection. After the update it appears to hold the connection through N mode. I'm using a DIR-655 router.

kevinkar

Reaction score
I posted that this happened to me yesterday as well. Was connecting to a Linksys WRT400 router in mixed B/G mode with WPA2, MAC address filtering, and an SSID what was being broadcast. For three weeks the WiFi connection was excellent providing me download speeds between 8-10Mbps and upload of 1Mbps. Almost as good as my wired PC.

Then, yesterday, after updating to 2.2 at work, I got home and WiFi was as you describe here. Alternating connection/disconnection. I COULD actually stay connected IF I did not actually access the network (tried using Google Earth, WeatherBug, and SpeedTest) at which point the issue would occur again until I shut off the offending app.

I am wondering what in the world could have changed such that the phone no longer stays connected. It's quite frustrating because, even though I have unlimited data, my WiFi connection at home is so fast and it drains the battery less than using 3G. If I can't use it at home like this, there's no reason to keep the phone.

I hope Motorola, Verizon, or Android figures this out quickly and patches it.

Kevin

UPDATE: I was sitting here at work and decided to do a hard reset. I've only had the phone for 3 weeks so there's not that much to lose in doing it. The reset apparently worked, was able to restore contacts and stuff but I'm leaving it in this default state to see how it works at home with my WiFi network. Hopefully there's a change for the better.

Last edited:

DocDog

Reaction score
Wifi and apps

I haven't finished the troubleshooting more exactly, but my early tests suggest that there is an app (or apps) which are responsible for this issue on my phone. I get the problem more frequently when there are multiple wifi signals than when there is one strong one. Recommend killing a few apps to see if the issue resolves.

kevinkar

Reaction score
I started removing apps one by one but still did not get a good connection at all. That's what prompted me to do the hard reset. Figured if it was indeed an app that was bad, it made sense to start at a default and go from there.

So far, the reset has helped the keyboard issues I saw but I have not gotten home to try WiFi yet. It it still doesn't work, I'll probably consider dumping the phone because, without the WiFi at home, it's not worth using.

I'm crossing my fingers.

Kevin

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Never had an issue with Wifi and still don't. It could be an incompatibility between the wifi chipset and your router. I've had those issues in the past with different hardware.

DocDog

Reaction score
Hardware incompatibilities are not the issue for my situation, as the same hardware connected to these networks without issue 24 hours ago (before I installed froyo). Hopefully Google and Motorola can get this sorted out reasonably quickly.

hugebob

Reaction score
Ever since my Droid X updated to 2.2, I cannot get my Wifi to connect to my router. It worked just fine before the update. But now all it says is... Obtaining IP Address, over and over, but just won't connect.

Wow! I thought it was just me. I have the exact same issue! At the direction of Verizon, I performed a factory reset. Then, once I got my data back, I performed a reboot (removed battery). Wifi connections seemed to last a wee bit longer. But, pretty soon things returned to "normal": WiFi connections lasting only seconds before "Scanning - Obtaining IP Address...". This thing was fine before that update. I wonder if this is an example of "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

kevinkar

Reaction score
I seem to have "fixed" my issue but I have to say I don't know for sure if this was what actually worked. It may have just been happenstance.

Anyway, I got onto my router and disabled WPA2, turned off MAC address filtering, broadcast the SSID, etc. All the things to make the router absolutely open and available to all who might want to access it. NOTHING!

I then started turning items on one at a time and attempted a connection. NOTHING!

I changed the wireless mode on 2.4GHz from Mixed to N-Only but no connection. I then changed it to G-Only and that appeared to work!

Since last night, it's been holding a signal nice and steady. I even used the WiFi connection to re-download and install all my apps again since I performed a hard reset. It downloaded it all.dancedroid

So, while I'd really like to experiment and move the radio back to Mixed, it looks like G-Only is ok for now as I don't want to tempt fate.

It's ridiculous that this setting had anything to do with the connection since it had worked flawlessly with the Droid X for THREE WEEKS. So something in 2.2 must have been changed that has issues with mixed B/G/N routers?

For what it's worth, everyone might at least give this a try and report back to see if it also helps. I'd be interested in the outcome.

Good luck!

5o5

Reaction score
I was I'm the same boat. I had to change my router settings to get g only signal and some other security setting. I've gotten a consistent signal since then for the past week. However I can't change those stings when I'm at workor out and about. I went to my brother in laws and his signal is wep encrypted and I get the same drop.its so frustrating. I'm looking to exchange the phone to see if it I'd a hardware issue. I love this phone so fast but this is a deal breaker. Btw I have the droid 2.