2.1 web browser pinch to zoom & text reformatting

bigfire

Reaction score
I'm currently running the stock version of 2.1-update1. Pinch to zoom works on the browser, but the html text doesn't get reformatted to fit the screen automatically. I found that by pressing on the zoom bar on the screen, the text then gets reformatted, or if I change from vertical to horizontal. Is anyone else getting this?

pilot25

Reaction score
yep, the pinch zoom in the browser is pretty crappy and I get the same formatting problem you have. I just double tap.

MarkB

Reaction score
I found the same problem. Also, the only reason I tried the stock browser is because the same thing is happening with Dolphin. I've been using Dolphin for months with no problems, but since updating to 2.1 yesterday, the pinch zoom works but the text doesn't reformat. And the tap zoom isn't working in Dolphin either, so I can't use it at all. I've tried turning auto fit off and back on, restarting the phone between, all sorts of things like that. No go. Autofit is a system option and since it's not working properly in either browser, I'm thinking it may be something on the system level that's not working properly and not related directly to either browser. Real pain.

yoopermjm

Reaction score
Is there any fix for this? I prefer tap zoom, but now its gone. Is there any way to get tap zooming back?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Whether or not it reformats depends on the aite IMO.

Try the mobile version of the forums as a test, mine reformats fine.

MarkB

Reaction score
I'm aiming towards a factory reset, just too many little things aren't working right and some people are reporting that it's helping to do that - perhaps it will clear this up too. Will post back when I get to it. If anyone else notices a difference by trying that, please post back here too.

Chilazr

Reaction score
My Droid updated today and I used the Pinch to Zoom on my local newspaper's website. Worked just fine.

MarkB

Reaction score
My Droid updated today and I used the Pinch to Zoom on my local newspaper's website. Worked just fine.

Yeah, just as with several other bugs - not seeing Picasa in the gallery sync settings, not seeing google earth in the marketplace, I think these things are hitting are some of us for some reason but not all. The Picasa and google earth bugs have been solved by a factory reset, so I'm wondering if that will fix the text reformatting (auto fit) after pinch zoom too.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yeah, just as with several other bugs - not seeing Picasa in the gallery sync settings, not seeing google earth in the marketplace, I think these things are hitting are some of us for some reason but not all. The Picasa and google earth bugs have been solved by a factory reset, so I'm wondering if that will fix the text reformatting (auto fit) after pinch zoom too.

Very likely if you were having those other issues as well, I've had none of them myself.

MarkB

Reaction score
I did the factory reset. Well it fixed the Picasa sync to gallery, and I can now find google earth in the market. But the pinch zoom still doesn't result in an auto fitted page in any of the browsers. Extremely annoying. And that was the main reason I tried the reset.

jjf

Reaction score
I find that double tap to zoom allows the text to reformat, and if I pinch zoom out, it reformats, but pinch zooming in does not.

cj1896

Reaction score
I am having and have had this same problem since I started running the 2.1 Roms. I think it is something in the 2.1 firmware itself. I can't figure it out but I think I am going to remove the browser and try to reinstall it and see how that goes.