10 things I would change about Market.

krus_2

Reaction score
If I could overhaul the Android Market, here's what I would do:

1. Separate programs based on which version of Android they are intended for. This way Droid users wouldn't have to waste time with apps that don't work on 2.0 or later.

2. Better app organization. Google couldn't honestly think of a way for users to order apps based on things such as ratings, release date, and so on...:icon_rolleyes:

3. A way to ignore certain updates. I can't stand when I get a daily reminder to update PDAnet. I dont need better Mac support so why do I need to bother with the update.

4. Automatic updates. If I cant block certain updates then atleast let me set them to auto update.

5. Apps suggested based on the apps I already have. Netflix does this and I love it.

6. Age restricted apps. This doesn't effect me personally, but I could really see parents liking this.

7. App download lock. So parents dont open a bill with $4000 in app fees. I understand that you need to a credit card to buy them but you give it to a kid once and you're done for.

8. Data usage monitor. I cant say Ive come close to using the 5GB, but maybe some of you have.

9. Save to... I would like the option of determining where I save my apps.

10. Video previews. Rather then 2 preview images, all preview videos. it would be like commercials for apps.

ktruba

Reaction score
Agreed with all of the above.

I think it just generally needs to be more appealing, some how the iphone app store just LOOKS more impressive. I know it has more apps, blah blah.

Just the user interface is miles ahead of android.

Bullfrog

Reaction score
All 10 of your suggestions are great. I also havent been able to sort my search results in Market. If I could sort by "free" or by rating, or by developer or even alphabetically.

heavyMGS

Reaction score
Some great ideas there, the sort by rating I'm totally behind. Also, a way to bookmark apps to download later or read about later would be nice. And a long press somewhere on the app in the market to share the app link with other people would be nice as well.

nitsuj

Reaction score
I'm curious about #8. Why does it matter if I go over 5GB? I thought my unlimited data plan was, unlimited.

dbandito

Reaction score
Excellent post, lets hope someone at google is watching and listening...

heavyMGS

Reaction score
I'm curious about #8. Why does it matter if I go over 5GB? I thought my unlimited data plan was, unlimited.

It is unlimited.

Let me clarify...

If you are using the data on your phone, then it's unlimited usage.

If you are tethering your phone to your computer and you have the tethering package (which is extra through VZW) then you get a 5 GB allotment to use when tethering and unlimited usage on the device itself. Make sense?

If you want to check your data usage for how much data you have used on your phone, dial #data from your phone and you will get a free text message on your phone giving you the stats. You can also log into your My Verizon account at VerizonWireless.com and check your data usage for both data you have used on your phone and if you tether you can check the amount of data you have used from tethering as well. Another place to check your tethering usage is to open your VZAccess manager software on your computer, which is needed to tether btw, and check the usage there.

Questions?

OP
K

krus_2

Reaction score
I guess I didn't realize there was a difference either. I thought the unlimited data was like an "all you can eat buffet", unlimited in the sense that the number is so far out of reach. I know how they can figure out if your tethering through VZW but what if someone is using PDAnet? Can they still tell?

heavyMGS

Reaction score
I guess I didn't realize there was a difference either. I thought the unlimited data was like an "all you can eat buffet", unlimited in the sense that the number is so far out of reach. I know how they can figure out if your tethering through VZW but what if someone is using PDAnet? Can they still tell?

As far as PDAnet goes, idk. I would be leary using such a product myself so I don't. That would be a decision you would have to make. But they do know the difference between data used on ur phone vs. data used when tethering so...

Houndstooth

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more on the organization. I'd love a "Sort By" suggestion, e.g sort by # of downloads, #of stars, alphabetical. I want to see all the 5 star apps first, then the rest. Also, I wish there were some way to ignore apps. I'm tired of seeing fart apps and dane cook soundboards.

Technoman

Reaction score
Let me browse and research on a PC...

You can do this... everything in the Market is found at andrlib.com and they include the QR code so that if you have a Barcode reader you can scan to download.

In addition, you can save favorites, read ratings, and such. There isn't a good sorting feature there either, but it is much easier on a PC.

baniels

Reaction score
+1 on number 2, above all. Really hard to understand why that wasn't a default inclusion in the design.

M

Matth3w

How about a long press to ignore that app in the future? I don't need soundboards, fart apps, themes for home replacements, lyrics to songs, and a bunch of other garbage out there. Only 1% of all apps on the market are worth a ****, I would love to ignore the stuff I have no interest in so when I get bored and start looking through the market I don't have to sort through all that each time.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
How about a long press to ignore that app in the future? I don't need soundboards, fart apps, themes for home replacements, lyrics to songs, and a bunch of other garbage out there. Only 1% of all apps on the market are worth a ****, I would love to ignore the stuff I have no interest in so when I get bored and start looking through the market I don't have to sort through all that each time.

I'd love to have an ignore feature where I could just create a filter to never show anything with the word "soundboard," "fart," or "jokes" in the title.

Even better would be to just ignore certain developers. When I first got my droid I would go to the "Just In" option but inevitably, it was always one developer who had uploaded 10 different versions the same lame joke app, e.g. 101 lawyer jokes, 101 doctor jokes, 101 teacher jokes, 101 fart jokes, 101 poop jokes, 101 pee jokes, etc.