10 things I would change about Market.

stevo95

Reaction score
If I could overhaul the Android Market, here's what I would do:

1. Separate programs based on which version of Android they are intended for. This way Droid users wouldn't have to waste time with apps that don't work on 2.0 or later.

2. Better app organization. Google couldn't honestly think of a way for users to order apps based on things such as ratings, release date, and so on...:icon_rolleyes:

3. A way to ignore certain updates. I can't stand when I get a daily reminder to update PDAnet. I dont need better Mac support so why do I need to bother with the update.

4. Automatic updates. If I cant block certain updates then atleast let me set them to auto update.

5. Apps suggested based on the apps I already have. Netflix does this and I love it.

6. Age restricted apps. This doesn't effect me personally, but I could really see parents liking this.

7. App download lock. So parents dont open a bill with $4000 in app fees. I understand that you need to a credit card to buy them but you give it to a kid once and you're done for.

8. Data usage monitor. I cant say Ive come close to using the 5GB, but maybe some of you have.

9. Save to... I would like the option of determining where I save my apps.

10. Video previews. Rather then 2 preview images, all preview videos. it would be like commercials for apps.

The search function. Its annoying when you search for an app and then want to search again with similar text. When you select the same search instead of allowing you the option to edit, it automatically does the search again.

M

Matth3w

How about a long press to ignore that app in the future? I don't need soundboards, fart apps, themes for home replacements, lyrics to songs, and a bunch of other garbage out there. Only 1% of all apps on the market are worth a ****, I would love to ignore the stuff I have no interest in so when I get bored and start looking through the market I don't have to sort through all that each time.

I'd love to have an ignore feature where I could just create a filter to never show anything with the word "soundboard," "fart," or "jokes" in the title.

Even better would be to just ignore certain developers. When I first got my droid I would go to the "Just In" option but inevitably, it was always one developer who had uploaded 10 different versions the same lame joke app, e.g. 101 lawyer jokes, 101 doctor jokes, 101 teacher jokes, 101 fart jokes, 101 poop jokes, 101 pee jokes, etc.
Good idea. There are like 200 $0.99 apps with "lyrics" from the same guy. Annoying.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the OP list and most suggestions but I would add 2 things:

1- some sort of 'certification' process or notification for proven apps (this would tie into the 'sort according to OS version' from the OP). There are way to many broken apps and there should be some sort of certification/assurance ESPECIALLY for paid apps.

2- Some sort a 'vendor rating' or 'approval' from/by Google (i.e. Vendor's that meet CS and other criteria as set by Google).

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Agreed with the OP list and most suggestions but I would add 2 things:

1- some sort of 'certification' process or notification for proven apps (this would tie into the 'sort according to OS version' from the OP). There are way to many broken apps and there should be some sort of certification/assurance ESPECIALLY for paid apps.

2- Some sort a 'vendor rating' or 'approval' from/by Google (i.e. Vendor's that meet CS and other criteria as set by Google).

I 100% agree with this.

I would love better searching, sorting, and ignoring features. I too am tired of finding the same dumb apps, that I will never want. Probably over 90% of the stuff in the market is fluff (although when 10k apps are made in a month I don't expect them all to be winners).

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would love better searching, sorting, and ignoring features. I too am tired of finding the same dumb apps, that I will never want. Probably over 90% of the stuff in the market is fluff (although when 10k apps are made in a month I don't expect them all to be winners).

You should see the iPhone market... they keep touting 100K apps... there's maybe 1K of them that are unique the others are just repetitious so it's even WORSE sorting through them than on the Droid Marketplace (which is why some sort of certification process would really help, don't waste my time showing me crap).

caldin

Reaction score
don't know if you can do this on the market while in the phone, but i've only seen a way to look at the top paid, top free, or just in. is there a way to just look at a list of all instead of the top ones?

clunker

Reaction score
My list

1. sort by ratings, downloads, release date, os version
2. bookmarking apps you like to consider and compare later

Certification would take a lot of setting up, had to make it fair, it would cost money. The sort by number of downloads and ratings would do a lot of what's needed on that score. I am surprised that Google has a published database and the ability to query it is so minimal. They are acknowledged (rightfully in my opinion) as big time experts in the concepts of information organization and searching, how did they let this happen? I hope they add some of these features soon.

DROIDMASTER

Reaction score
If I could overhaul the Android Market, here's what I would do:

1. Separate programs based on which version of Android they are intended for. This way Droid users wouldn't have to waste time with apps that don't work on 2.0 or later.

2. Better app organization. Google couldn't honestly think of a way for users to order apps based on things such as ratings, release date, and so on...:icon_rolleyes:

3. A way to ignore certain updates. I can't stand when I get a daily reminder to update PDAnet. I dont need better Mac support so why do I need to bother with the update.

4. Automatic updates. If I cant block certain updates then atleast let me set them to auto update.

5. Apps suggested based on the apps I already have. Netflix does this and I love it.

6. Age restricted apps. This doesn't effect me personally, but I could really see parents liking this.

7. App download lock. So parents dont open a bill with $4000 in app fees. I understand that you need to a credit card to buy them but you give it to a kid once and you're done for.

8. Data usage monitor. I cant say Ive come close to using the 5GB, but maybe some of you have.

9. Save to... I would like the option of determining where I save my apps.

10. Video previews. Rather then 2 preview images, all preview videos. it would be like commercials for apps.

For google to do all of this will cost them a butt load of money. The market was thought through carefully and is bug free from what I can tell. The market probably costs millions of $ anyway. These are good suggestions though... in other words keep dreamin

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
For google to do all of this will cost them a butt load of money. The market was thought through carefully and is bug free from what I can tell. The market probably costs millions of $ anyway. These are good suggestions though... in other words keep dreamin

? You're kidding right?? The MARKET is one of the BIGGEST features/offerings of the Android OS. Essentially it is the REASON to have an Android phone... NOT fixing it would cost them millions. They are spending FAR more money on things like Maps and Navigator which don't have nearly the same pull and effect on people decision(s) to purchase an Android device.

Houndstooth

Reaction score
Agreed with KZI. Moreover, I doubt that it would cost "millions" to implement many of those suggestions given that some of the, like sorting lists, are pretty basic even in programs like Excel. I'm happy to be in on the ground floor of Droid/Android and my expectations are tempered, but some of the stuff that was left out is just baffling.

M

Matth3w

If they can already sort by date added, it's a matter of a couple hours of work max to add sort by rating, etc. Not millions of dollars worth.

Greenham

Reaction score
Let me browse and research on a PC...

You can do this... everything in the Market is found at andrlib.com and they include the QR code so that if you have a Barcode reader you can scan to download.

In addition, you can save favorites, read ratings, and such. There isn't a good sorting feature there either, but it is much easier on a PC.

Technoman,

Am I missing something? When I open your link it's a site that just advertises a bunch of other crap..kinda like a bad URL...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
#7. Good idea, but I have a better one. Don't buy a Droid for somebody who can't pay for their own apps.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
#7. Good idea, but I have a better one. Don't buy a Droid for somebody who can't pay for their own apps.

:woot: Dead on hookbill.... KIDS DON'T NEED $$$ CELLS, let alone smartphones or even 'semi-smart' phones... I can understand basic phones under some circumstances but for the most part parents need to get a clue... (flaming to proceed in 3, 2, 1...)

Last edited:

Sleeve

Reaction score
#11: Track how many accurate spam comment reports a user submits, and give them market credit for reaching certain volumes.
#12: Track how many spam reports against a user are correct, and mute their ability to comment once they cross a limit.

Sorta harping on a theme here, but yea, you can safely assume I wield a scythe through bogus comments advertising web sites unrelated to the app.

I think the sort by rating is almost handled by the Top paid and Top free options, but the actual order seems to be number of downloads. I've noticed some devs that churn their apps: when it gets below a certain star rating, they re-release the app with a slightly different name. I think a solely rating-based market would cause more developer abuse like this.